• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Unable to load Beersmith - Where are my recipes etc stored??

Crystal_Ball

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me........
I cant open/load Beensmith2. Im not sure if the software closed properly after I last used it? Im thinking I could re-install the software but I don't want to lose my recipes and equipment profiles. Is it possible to copy these from the folder location and then after the software is re-installed paste them into the folder so they appear??
If this is possible where are my recipes and equipment folders and files??

Thanks

Greetings Crystal_Ball - if you are running the latest edition of BeerSmith, V*.*.12, on a Windows OS, your files are located in My Documents >BeerSmith.  You can simply rename that folder, reinstall the software, delete the new folder that was just created with the install and rename the old folder back to BeerSmith.

If you?re running on a different OS, I am sorry, I cannot help.

KellerBrauer said:
Greetings Crystal_Ball - if you are running the latest edition of BeerSmith, V*.*.12, on a Windows OS, your files are located in My Documents >BeerSmith.  You can simply rename that folder, reinstall the software, delete the new folder that was just created with the install and rename the old folder back to BeerSmith.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes running Windows 8. Ill give that a go.

Crystal_Ball said:
KellerBrauer said:

Correction - your files are in the BeerSmith2 folder.  Sorry!!

KellerBrauer said:
Crystal_Ball said:
KellerBrauer said:

Correction - your files are in the BeerSmith2 folder.  Sorry!!

I guessing it was that folder. I have re-installed and software works fine using new folder, but not the old folder. Must be a file missing or damaged. Which files should I copy from my old data to get my recipes and equipment profiles?

Greetings Crystal_Ball - I believe should be able to copy and paste all the files from the old BeerSmith2 folder to the new BeerSmith2 folder.  However, another one of the contributors to this forum may have another opinion or option on how to proceed.

Crystal_Ball said:
I guessing it was that folder. I have re-installed and software works fine using new folder, but not the old folder. Must be a file missing or damaged. Which files should I copy from my old data to get my recipes and equipment profiles?

Make sure that you pasted older .../Documents/BeerSmith2 folder directly OVER the newer one. If you posted it INTO the new folder, then your profiles and recipes are just nested inside the folder. BeerSmith doesn't read the nested folders.

I have had the same problem.  I renamed the BeerSmith2 file to Old Beersmith 2.  Opened Beersmith and looked at the recipes - none there.  I moved the new Beersmith2 file to the desktop just to have it still. Then renamed Old Beersmith 2 back to BeerSmith2.  No luck - it is still empty, only the trial recipes are there.

In the archive there are some recipes. These ones are ones that I downloaded to use as a base for mine.  None of my recipes are in the archive.

There are 5 equipment files - all of them are the same - just the presets.

It looks like I will be starting from scratch.....  Very disappointing

Back