• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Unable to Preview, Scale, or Print Brewlog

Pirate Point Brewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hello Brad,

With 1.4, we could preview any list like Brewlog. Within the preview screen we could scale (or shrink) it and then print the scaled result.  Because you provided the ability to Customize the Columns, we used this to print an Index of our recipes for our recipe binder and to post on the shelf giving details of ageing brews.
We have not been able to figure out how to do this with Ver. 2. We are using build 48. This was an extremely handy capeability and it appears that you intended to allow this as you provide a Preview tab next to the Print List tab, but this just previews the active recipe not the selected list.

In addition, one of the values we kept in the list was "Rating". So we could easily discuss and decide on future brews. We believe you also intended to carry this forward with Ver. 2 as the variable "Rating" can be added to the customize columns in a list. We just can't seem to find a place to enter our value.

Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

Preston

Hi Preston,
  You can use the "Print List" button to print out a list of recipes (or any other data listing).  I'm hoping this will work for you.

The rating can still be set - it is on the "Fermentation" tab for any open recipe under the title "Tast Rating and Notes".

Brad

Hi Brad and Preston,

There's also a "tasting notes" text field in the "notes" tab... but without the rating field.
Filling one of the tasting notes field, fills both (in fermentation or notes tab).

Wouldn't it be better to have the tasting notes (and rating) only in the "notes" tab ?

(consistency again ;-) )

Hello Brad,

Thanks for the prompt response. I apologize for not stating the problem more clearly. The Problem is not the Print List tab. The problem is the Preview tab just to the right of the Print List Tab. This Preview tab duplicates the function of the preview tab at the bottom where you select your reports. It previews the active recipe report not the selected list such as Brewlog. In 1.4 when Previewing the list, you had the ability to format the page and "scale" the list before printing using the print icon in the preview screen.  As I mentioned, we put many columns in Brewlog, without the ability to Preview and the "scale" (Shrink) the list, even in Landscape Page Format, what could be a very concise 1 page printed list becomes a multi page mess. I hope this better clarifies the concern.

Once again, thanks for your help. We really enjoy the product.

Preston

Hello Brad,

Not trying to pick, but leaving a clear paper trail has become a big habit and has saved our butt many times after a computer/software crash or operating system/program upgrade. Its also easier to share information in a face to face group. Anyway, in reviewing the recipe reports we leared that the unlike Ver 1.4, Taste Notes and Recipe Notes do not recognize the carrage return character. This makes very basic formatting impossible. We use itemized lists to organize data but these are all run together in Ver. 2 build 48. Is it possible to allow the return character in all notes?

Thanks

Preston

Hello Brad,

I hate when I'm dumb. All formatting problems were self created. In setting up the custom reports I failed to toggle the "Plain TXT/HTML" button.
Once I edited the list to correct this, all notes appear as they should. I'm documenting this in case someone else has the problem.

I still hope to get an answer to the thread opening problem with Preview/Print List

Thanks

Preston

Back