• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

underprimed cabonation

theanthropos

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I realized I underprimed my beer when I bottled them :(

The instruction for my extract kit called for 2/3 white sugar and 2 cups of water, I come to realize that I only put 1/3 cup of priming sugar. Should I put my beer back in the bottling bucket and add the other 1/3 cup and recap, hope for the best or did I simply miss it this time around and now my beer is ruined and just simply need to start over?

Mike

I don't think for beer ruin, probally just going to be a flatter lower carbonation beer. Many beer styles have different carbonation rates. I don't know how big of batch you made but I would just try and see what happens after it ages a couple weeks. I would not try bootling it again, it would be easy to get contaminated

It's not ruined. It just won't have as much bubbles as it normally would. When it comes time to drink it, have some fully carbonated brew on hand. Perhaps something from the store. If the homebrew doesn't have enough suds, pour in some fizzy stuff. It's all good.

Well, It's been another week since I posted and I finally chilled a couple and tried one of my home brews. It is definately low on carbonation, but it's not flat--that's a relief!!! It is definately drinkable and I will enjoy it though, it is a little little astringent (surely another problem to figure out and learn from) doesn't seem to be balanced, but other than that it is what it is.

ihikeut---I was concerned about contaminating the beer and therefore did not mess with it and as you pointed out to wait and see how it comes out. Oh! By the way I made a five gallon batch.

Maine Homebrewer--I like your idea of adding some store bought Irish Red to get the foamy head and the desired fizz my home brew lacks. Not only that maybe that will help balance it out a little as well.

Thank you guys for your input and insights into my dilemma, I really appreciate it---you were both encouraging.

I did the same thing with a pale ale a couple of weeks ago.It does not have a big head like usual bu its carbonated,and certainly not stopping my friends from drinking it.

Back