• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Understanding "Update Prices" in Web Version

randy.cantrell@storytelle

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am getting inconsistent results when attempting to leverage the Update Prices feature. Is there an explanation for how the product goes about finding a match and applying new price data? Does it look only in Inventory? Will it look in the Ingredients library if no Inventory item is present? If the Inventory does not show enough available product, does that change the behavior?

I ask, as I am seeing inconsistent and hard to explain results.

To add another detail, I fear may be impacting the result; recipes were created, initially, in the desktop version. But, we are moving to leveraging the web version so our inventory/pricing data is shared across recipes and our recipe design folk. Is there underlying identity data, beyond the ingredient name, used to do the lookup (e.g., unique ID), which would not match between desktop and web?

The program uses the inventory first I believe and tries to match by exact name.

The program uses the inventory first I believe and tries to match by exact name.
I ran a simple test to demonstrate the problem. In the recipe, you can see that both Perle and BEST... have entries in Inventory. But it will not pick them up. I have opened and compared names of both to make sure there were no extra spaces or other anamolies. I am seeing this occur across several recipes, where it is not finding matches. I am suspcicious it has something to do with those ingredients being imported into the web ingredients list via the Exchange Items feature.

Attachments

• 2023-02-03 07_50_07-BeerSmith 3 Online.png
    2023-02-03 07_50_07-BeerSmith 3 Online.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks - I'll dive into this bug later this week and try to see what's happening here. If you want to export a BSMX file (from the desktop or web) you can send it to me at beersmith at beersmith.com and I'll try to duplicate what you are seeing here.

I emailed the bsmx recipe file that is in our web version and attached it here, where the above issue occured, though it is not a difficult issue to reproduce with any recipe.

Attachments

• Sue_Do_Lager.bsmx
    21.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for all of the help - I just posted a fix for this online. The problem was the way the inventory system was merging duplicate ingredients when doing inventory matching. It created a bug where the second (of two duplicate) ingredients was not being matched properly.

With your recipe, I uploaded it, added it to shopping list then from shopping->inventory and did an update prices and it all matched up.

I am still having the same problem. I just retested the same recipe, for which both of these items are in our Inventory. I presume this fix is implemented and release to the web version?1676668462734.png

Doing some more work on it this weekend and hope to post a fix soon - must be one more bug in there somewhere.

Randy would you mind sending me a private message with your BeerSmithRecipes.com login name. I still have not found root cause for the problem so I want to dive into your inventory database to see if I can figure out why the recipe you sent me is not matching up with your inventory records.

I won't change any data - just want to pull the values to see why the match is not happening.

I posted a patch for this to the server today and cleaned up some bad database entries. Let me know if you have any additional issues.

Back