• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Units for hop prices in grams are rounded too much

tglanfield

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Brad,

Version: 2.0.37

The units used for hop prices in the UK based on grams are too severly rounded.  Best to use an example:

I'm paying, say, £2.45 for 100g of hops.  The units used are £/g which equates to 0.0245.  This is being rounded to 0.02 in the display and calculations for both Ingredients and Inventory views and probably others.  I suggest £/kg or pence/g would be better suited.

Note also that the '£' symbol is being displayed as a square box, indicative of an invalid/unused entry in the font.

Regards,
Terry.

Thanks,
  I will add this to my list - I agree it needs to be handled differently for some foreign currencies - particularly for hops and other small items.

Brad

actually, I'm seeing the same fault for grains too...

I've got a recipe that uses (eg) 4Kg of pale malt.
I've gone in to set the price and it rounds to Zero as its asking for £ / g

malt costs in the region of £1 to £1.50 per KG in the UK, so 0.001 £/g, which is rounded to Zero.
this is quite a problem.

for UK malts, £/Kg would be far better.
perhaps the ability to change the scale on a per item type would then mean that all varying currencies or item weights etc could be supported with the user changing the scale as needed for their local environment?

- alternatively, store figures with a greater degree of accuracy? save the figure exactly each value with no rounding (remove the validation to xxx DP on control-exit) and your problem goes away..

+1 for this.

Trying to convince SWMBO that i'm saving her money  ;D

newelley

BTW, Great piece of software, thanks

Another +1, The V1.4 £/cg worked reasonably well, and was a standard package size.

Thanks,
  I'll work on it!  Still on my list.

Brad

+1 for this

Working in $ and Metric hop prices are in $/g

Now, if I buy a Kilo of hops I end up paying between 30 and 45$ for the hops

but the options are $0.03/g, $0.04/g and $0.05g

I want to be able to put 0.029, 0.031, 0.042 and 0.045

Alternatively, perhaps it would make more sense to put $/100g?

This would work out to $2.90, $3.10, $4.20, $4.50, etc

Which is much more into the same order of magnitude as the grain prices

Hops are generally available in 90g, 100g, 450g, 500g, 1000g quantities in these parts

Will this be fixed? Beersmith tells me I have the latest update, but I still have that problem.

(by the way, the possibility to add the alpha acid of the hops in the inventory would be appreciated)

Ok, I downloaded the latest version now, and it's still not fixed. Price per gram is 0,396 kr, and it gets rounded up by Beersmith. Really don't feel like using this feature until it's fixed. And there should REALLY be a way to put in alpha acid values there.

Hi,
  In the latest build there is an option on the units tab to display hop prices in hg (hundreds of grams) which should resolve the issue.  You need to set the checkbox to make it active in the options->units tab however.

Brad

I'd like to see a similar conversion (extra decimal place) added to grain weights.  No matter how many times I use '6 oz' in the Amount field, it always defaults to 6.1 ounces in the recipe box.  It's only a minor annoyance, but it should be an easy one to fix.

Back