• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Updating volume losses for an existing recipe

BeerHanded

New Forum Member
Reaction score
When I update the volume losses for mash tun and kettle in the equipment profile for an existing recipe, why does the strikewater volume for that recipe not update automatically? Would I have to update it manually, or is there some approach to editing the losses that I'm not following? Thanks.

You need to reselect the equipment profile in the recipe for the changes to take effect.

Upvote 0
Following up on what Bob said, each recipe is a self-contained archive. Once you select the equipment profile for that recipe, it will not change even if the profile is changed outside of that recipe. If you do change your equipment profile you need to do what Bob recommended.

Likewise, if you change a profile within a recipe, it will only affect that recipe and will not change the profile in your library.

To make sure you have the latest recipe, I append the date of the last update to the equipment profile name. That way I can note at a glance if I am using the latest profile in a recipe and when I need to update that recipe with the latest version.

Upvote 0
You need to reselect the equipment profile in the recipe for the changes to take effect.
Thank you, but as a follow up, what then is the point of being able to edit an equipment profile for an existing recipe? I did try this, reselected the equipment profile with different losses, and the strikewater amount did not change, but perhaps I misunderstood your explanation.

Upvote 0
Following up on what Bob said, each recipe is a self-contained archive. Once you select the equipment profile for that recipe, it will not change even if the profile is changed outside of that recipe. If you do change your equipment profile you need to do what Bob recommended.
Tried this and nothing changed
Likewise, if you change a profile within a recipe, it will only affect that recipe and will not change the profile in your library.
This is the challenge that I was having, I did update the equipment profile within a recipe, and it did nothing to that recipe. I expected my strikewater volume to increase based on my having increased my mash and kettle volume losses.
To make sure you have the latest recipe, I append the date of the last update to the equipment profile name. That way I can note at a glance if I am using the latest profile in a recipe and when I need to update that recipe with the latest version.
Good idea!

Thanks for your reply

Upvote 0
Can you post your equipment profile and the changes you made to it? I have found the program calculation of volumes to be pretty straight forward and robust, so maybe we can see something in the changes you are making.

Upvote 0
Had to reread your original post. When you make volume changes in the recipe or equipment profile, the strike volume remains the same and the change is reflected in the sparge volume. The strike water volume is a function of the water to grain ratio in the mash profile and the grain weight of the recipe. You can make changes to the water to grain ratio within the individual recipe or in the mash profile(s). It works the same as changing equipment profiles. To change within the recipe, double click on the first mash step and change either the strike volume or the ratio.

Upvote 0
Can you post your equipment profile and the changes you made to it? I have found the program calculation of volumes to be pretty straight forward and robust, so maybe we can see something in the changes you are making.
Sure thing, thanks for your reply. See below for the equipment profile with the original settings for Mash Deadspace Losses to the left hand side at .50 gal and also Post Boil Loss to Trub and Chiller at .50 gal. You can also see the Design screen with recipe laying beneath the equipment profile and you can see water as the first ingredient as 15.49 gallons. (More text below)
index.php

This image is the same view, but now losses have been edited to .75 gal each. I expected the water ingredient in the Design view to go to 15.99 gal, but you can see it still at 15.49. (More text below)
1662992300785.png

Follow up to Bob's point below regarding the Mash tab, I only have one mash step since I have a no-sparge process which gets set up in a BIAB profile. There is no second mash step since I don't sparge, and I believe that BeerSmith automatically calculates the water to grain ratio. I see that the strikewater volume has increased here, but it's slightly higher than what I expected. Perhaps I need to manually copy this amount to the Design tab for water volume?
1662992911318.png

Attachments

• 1662992161329.png
    1662992161329.png
    515.3 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
OK, I think I see the issue. When you add the water into the recipe as an ingredient, that becomes fixed. If you change your equipment profile, it does not change the water volume listed as an ingredient in the recipe. The actual water called for in the recipe will change and be reflected in the mash tab. You will need to change that manually. For this reason, the water is the last ingredient I add to the recipe and I do this just before printing the recipe to brew. This way, it will represent any changes I make to the recipe up until I go to brew it.

Upvote 0
OK, I think I see the issue. When you add the water into the recipe as an ingredient, that becomes fixed. If you change your equipment profile, it does not change the water volume listed as an ingredient in the recipe. The actual water called for in the recipe will change and be reflected in the mash tab. You will need to change that manually. For this reason, the water is the last ingredient I add to the recipe and I do this just before printing the recipe to brew. This way, it will represent any changes I make to the recipe up until I go to brew it.
Aha. Got it, thank you, now it all makes sense. Thanks for all your replies.

Upvote 0
I recommend readjusting water at the end before you brew as things like water volumes used, water salts and pH acid adjustments don't usually scale linearly when you scale a recipe or adjust the grain bill.

So my last step before I brew a recipe it usually to go back to the Water tab in the recipe and make sure my volumes are correct and that my water profile and mash pH acid is correct for the recipe.

Upvote 0
I recommend readjusting water at the end before you brew as things like water volumes used, water salts and pH acid adjustments don't usually scale linearly when you scale a recipe or adjust the grain bill.

So my last step before I brew a recipe it usually to go back to the Water tab in the recipe and make sure my volumes are correct and that my water profile and mash pH acid is correct for the recipe.
Good recommendation, thank you.

Upvote 0
Back