• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Use full boil volume for steeping

formula155

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I normally use the full boil volume of water for steeping. When I look at the brew steps for a recipe it automatically seems to adjust the steeping volume based on the steeping grains used. Is there a way for me to specify I want to use the full boil volume for steeping, so that it will give me the required water volume to add at the start of my process, rather than assuming I will start with a small volume, and then add water post steeping?
Thanks.

The only challenge is if you use a full volume for steeping you can extract tannins from the grains because the pH of the water is very likely over 6 at that point. So I've been recommending for some time that you steel with a lot less water to keep the pH down.

Here's the details: https://beersmith.com/blog/2017/02/...ng-tip-dont-steep-grains-with-too-much-water/

The program instructions are designed to prevent this issue, though you do need to be careful steeping with a small amount of grains in a grain bag as it is easy to scorch the bag. Some brewers use a separate stovetop pot for steeping instead of their large brew pot.

Upvote 0
Back