• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

user data lost in Wine/Linux

dhuxtable

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been running Beersmith in Arch LInux with Wine (currently 1.9.16-1) for the past year without issue until this morning.  I fired the program up to upgrade to 2.3 today, and it appeared to have been reset to the base defaults - including asking me to enter my activation code.  I've never moved my data directory, but searching I found Beersmith2 under /home/user, & /home/user/documents, as well as program files under /.wine/drive_c/Program Files(x86).  The archive folder in /home/user/Beersmith2 seemed to be the one with all of my recipes in it so I copied the entire Beersmith2 folder over the one in the documents folder.  No luck.  I'm able to open a recipe, but I'm unable to find or load my equipment profile.  By manually opening archived recipes, I was able to re-save my latest equipment profile, and am able to drag and drop recipes back to "my recipes" folder, but it seems a bit tedious.  Is there an easier way to move the archives to the recipes folder?

Thanks,
Dan

The data on Linux is under ~/.beersmith2 and should still be there I believe?  The Linux build is still in beta so we're working through a number of bugs there.  Check the hidden folders in your home directory and you should still have your data there I believe.

It would be, but I've been running the Windows version under Wine.  No such folder.  I'm going to assume that whatever happened had to be something that I did somehow, or Wine on an update.  I think that I've managed to recover most of my recipes using the open file command and pointing it to my archive directory, but it's tedious as the file names don't reflect the recipe name, and there may be multiple archives of the same recipe as I may have saved them multiple times.  I was hoping there was a hidden import folder command that could import them all in one shot.  Otherwise, it would be nice if the archive file name reflected the name of the recipe that they were archiving.  Lesson learned though, export the important stuff regularly, and back it up. 

Thanks for the great software,
Dan

Dan
  The other thing to try is opening the numbered recipe files (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) as these have full backups of all of your recipes if they are not out of date.

Brad

I tried that, but they're all defaults - empty with a folder of samples.

Back