• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water filter question.

GoodisBeer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just picked up GE  Whole House Water Filtetr System (GXWH04F). Question is can I use my standard garden hose for my water intake or should I pick up a "potable fresh water hose"?

Will the filter remove the leaching of rubbers and/or plastic from the garden hose. Or should I just purchase a $10 potable hose and call it good?

The best way to know it is to taste it ! Seriously, I use the silicone hose for intake and outflow. It's the same kind of hose that everyone use for hot liquid transfert (the semi transparent/white hose).

A garden hose can put stuff in that's not great for your health, and is difficult to taste.  Just get a potable water hose.

Yes.  Garden hose is bad.  It leaches plastics and LEAD.  You want a white pot able water hose typically used used for RVs. 

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the push to go get a potable hose.

jomebrew said:
Yes.  Garden hose is bad.  It leaches plastics and LEAD.  You want a white pot able water hose typically used used for RVs.

Not all of them are white anymore.  The last one I bought was blue.

No matter what color it is, just make sure it says potable, or drinking water, or RV hose.

We use an inline RB filter connecting two potable water hoses.  Makes the whole setup mobile too :)

Back