• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water/grain ratio

Not what I was looking for - it is what I was looking at. And you can edit "mash tun deadspace addition". But that's the problem. The change doesn't stick. Nor do I think it should stick, the change is made in the equipment profile and being able to make the change to individual mash steps will lead to madness (not for me - I'm already there).

I am trying to figure out what you mean by 'it doesn't stick'.  Are you saying that once you edit a mash step within a recipe that the recipe automatically reverts back to the previous mash step version once you have clicked OK?  Are you saying that when you have edited the mash step within a recipe that the mash profile your library does not reflect this change?  Or are you saying that when you edit the mash profile in your profile library that it is not reflected in the recipe?

One thing to note that every recipe in BeerSmith is a self contained archive.  Once you have created a recipe, all the profiles in that recipe are locked and can only be changed within the recipe.  Same goes with ingredients and pricing.  The rationale for this is so that you have a permanent archive of the recipe you brewed which will not be affected by future changes to the profiles or ingredients outside the recipe.  The downside is that if you change one of your profiles outside the recipe, you must then go into each recipe you want to be affected by that change and update the profile by re-clicking on the profiles and selecting the updated version.

Does this information help with your frustration? 

Open the mash step. Change the "mash tun deadspace addition" (to, say, zero from 3.5). Just for fun change the step time. OK th dialog box. Reopen the mash step. The step time is still changed, but the "mash tun deadspace addition" is back to what was (3.5), i.e. it hasn't "stuck".

Suits me. I can't see why it would be changed here. But it is giving the impression that you can. Doesn't cause me any frustration either, but I know it does cause frustration with some folk, hence I've said it needs to be "greyed out". It is good enough to edit it in the profile (I did mean the recipe's copy of the profile in my last post).

Can confirm the inability to change tun deadspace within the mash box.

Can confirm that when i alter the mash steps (move up a step) click "OK" at the bottom, and then click "OK" when exiting out of the recipe, the order stays the same when re-opening. I can confirm it acts this way on both a PC running windows 7, as well as an iMac running Mojave 10.14.3, running BS3 3.0.8

This is my summary of where (I think) we are up to:

The discussion on water/grain ratio has proved the value is inconsistent depending where it is displayed. But I'm being careful not to say which interpretation is "correct". (EDIT: By that I mean should the ratio include water in the "deadspaces", or should it not).

But along the way other issues were discussed of which the mash step ordering, which I am having frustration with, is outstanding.

I know this issue is demonstrated in the BSMX I posted (mash steps disorganised), but the error cannot be replicated on a different system (i.e. when the mash steps are put in the right order they stay in that order - but not on my system!). So finding the error is perhaps going to require a more "holistic" approach.

I'm running Beersmith v3.0.6 on Windows 10 Pro version 1809 (build 17763.316).

This was off-subject (not about water/grain ratio) so I'll open another thread for it having discovered a forum for version 3 now (but it seems this problem has a history that goes well back).

I found the cause of the issue disorganising my mash steps. Having found it I can search the issue and find dozens of posts on the same subject going back a while too (but it hasn't been fixed). It's not a bug, it's a rash decision made by the programmer (Brad?): That mash steps always increase in temperature, so the mash steps can be sorted by "step temperature".

Of course there will always be people who want to step down in temperature, but Beersmith can't accommodate those people (not between Beersmith sessions), and that list of people now includes me!

dtapke said:
? Can confirm that when i alter the mash steps (move up a step) click "OK" at the bottom, and then click "OK" when exiting out of the recipe, the order stays the same when re-opening. I can confirm it acts this way on both a PC running windows 7, as well as an iMac running Mojave 10.14.3, running BS3 3.0.8
You must exit the program and go back in, not just the recipe.

Back