• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

water ph

Jivinwilly70

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings:
I use BeerSmith v2 and the mash tab default for water ph is set at 7.00.  Is it possible, or necessary, to change the default as my actual water ph I've tested is 4.8?  Will it make a difference ?  Also, in that regard, how or can I change any of default settings that are light blue in any of the tabs?
Thanks

Probably the best thing to do would be to create a profile for your source water. Water pH has very little effect on mash pH, so is pretty much meaningless on its own.

As Bob357 stated, the pH of your water has very little effect on the mash pH.  The mineral composition of the water DOES have an effect and that is where Bob's recommendation of building your own profile is important.  If you have not had your water tested or received a water analysis of your brewing water, it is well worth getting one done!

Thanks for the replies.  I won't worry about the ph then, and take your advice as to my water profile.

Back