• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water to Grain Ratio Units

BierNut

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brad,

It appears that I have found an undocumented feature. When I change my Mash Volume Units to gallons I would expect my water to grain ratio to correspond like in ver. 1.4. However, when I modify my Mash Volume Units in ver 2.0 my water to grain ratio remains at quarts per pound. Will this be addressed in the near future?

Thanks!
~Bill

Bill,
  It is actually corrected in the beta patch here if you want to give it a try.  I plan to roll this out as a mainline patch for everyone sometime next week.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,4797.0.html

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for getting back to me and I hope that you are having a great time at the NHC, but unfortunately the patch did not correct the problem  :(. In the Mash Step editor I still have the units of qts/lb after the water to grain ratio, maybe I am missing something.  ???

Additionally, when I select a temperature saccharification rest and select temperature in the Type drop down box the mash description box shows "Add 0.00 gal of water at 148.0 F". In ver 1.4 this would be displayed as "Heat to 148.0 F over 10 min."

Thanks!
~Bill

Sorry Bill,
  I misread your original question.

For english units I do display qts/lb since that is what everyone uses when talking mash ratios even if they are brewing very large batches.  Honestly I can't recall every hearing anyone talk about a mash ratio in gallons per pound.  Is there a group using gallons/pound somewhere?  In the metric world they use liters/kilo.

I'll take a look at the description for the temperature steps - I was unaware that they had changed but I'll correct it if that is the case.

Brad

Brad,

What I am saying is, in Ver 1.4, if I select Tools, Options, Units, and select Mash Volumes in gallons and Grain/Extract in pounds it is reflected in the Mash Editor Water/Grain Ratio as Gal/lb. However, when I enter the same settings in Ver. 2.0 it does not reflect Gal/lb but remains as qts/lb in the Mash Editor. It just seems like the units displayed should be controlled by the individual brewer, which is allowed in Ver 1.4.

Thanks!
~Bill

I was looking at the Units tab under Options today as well. For my own brewing purposes, I prefer mash volume units (strike water, sparge water, etc) to be in gallons since that is how my sight glass is labeled. However, for the mash thickness measurements I use qts/lb units since that is how they it is expressed in most ecipe sources. 9 times out of 10 I target 1.25 qts/lb for mash thickness.

Perhaps a middle ground solution would be an additional Units options field called "Mash Thickness" where the brewer can specify either qts/lb, gal/lb, L/Kg etc.

Thanks,
  I'm going to look at adding more units - perhaps this is one of the additions to make.

Brad

I don't intend to make myself annoying but wanted to add my 2 cents that I'm always thinking in qt/lb for mash thickness even if I would prefer to measure volumes in gallons.  I can estimate quarts in my mash water measuring vessel just as easily as gallons but I would prefer to think of the water in terms of gallons.

Back