• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What are you brewing next? ...official brewing log thread

bcull said:
I was in the UK a few years ago and was lucky to get a couple of the last pints (ever) of the Bass/Worthington White Shield IPA from the Bass Museum in Burton Upon Trent.  (The museum was closed because the US parent company - Coors - decided to close the museum and the museum brewery was decommissioned).   

Drinking this superb ale in the Mecca of British brewing was Nirvana - so I have designed a clone based on the recipe provided by Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz in their book, "Brew Your Own British Real Ale".  I have had to adjust the amount of hops called for in the book, because according to BeerSmith the amount recommended would produce an IBU of 87!  The book states that the resulting IBU is 40.  I also upped the colour by added a bit more crystal malt than the recipe calls for, I may relent on brew day.

White Shield:

Grains
8 lbs 11.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs 4.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

Hops
20g Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
15 g Northdown [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
10 g Northdown [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min

Yeast
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1.016SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 42.4 IBUs
Est Color: 9.8 SRM

Method
BIAB with a recirculating pump to keep the grain active.  This is an untried method for me, but I am optimistic it may produce a 70% efficiency.  (I may be adding some DME at the boil to get the hydrometer up to 1.050.)
Looks good to me!

Just finished up Gumball Head and Dombie Dust ,,,, it's cold crashing for 3 weeks then off to the kegs
This is my first Zombie Dust clone , and about the 7 or 8th time for Gumball Head

Brewing a Russian Imperial Stout for Christmas/NewYears tomorrow.
estimated @
1.098 OG
90 IBUs
50SRM
10% abv

had to make a 2 ltr starter WITH the stir plate for this one. lmfao

beercheer4me can you post the Zombie and Gumball Recipes? My buddy is totally into 3 floyds.

I am working on a "WAY" Heavy Scotch Ale (18%abv) that should be ready to drink 9/2014. Side note: The last on I made only made it to 16%, so I am hoping to make it to 18% with this one.

It began life as a 5.5 Gallon first running’s batch with 50lb grain. After 7 hours of work, and a 3 hour boil. The temp corrected OG was 1.176 (Tasted heavenly!)

Now the work begins to get it down to the Final gravity of 1.035. I put the first 1/3 in the carboy last Friday and it is at a steady 65F (Using frozen water bottles in the bathtub. I will add the next 1/3 today, and the last in about a week. Every day twice a day I am gently stirring the wort to keep things in suspension and checking on the temp to make sure it does not rise to far. This will go on for about a month until it is down to FG. At which point I will add Some Potassium Sorbate, and Gelatin, then put it into the Secondary. Cold crash it and then put it in a keg, purge the oxygen and Cold Condition for two years.

You may be asking yourself what kind of yeast is he using... Well that would be a great question. It is a blend of the following three yeasts: Three weeks ago I made Scotch ale with Wyeast 1728. After that was done I racked off and went to secondary leaving about ¼ in of beer on top of the yeast cake. Next I racked on top of the yeast cake. After fermentation Started vigorously (Approx. 48 hours later). I then added a starter (1.060) of Wyeast VSS 9097 from 2009 and White labs WLP099.

As a bonus, the Second and Third Running’s produced a second 5.5G batch of 1.060 beer which I made an English Brown with.

Cheers
Preston

Ps.
Sure hope the world doesn’t end in December, That would be a Terrible waste of good beer!

Attachments

• Scotch-ale-OG.jpg
    Scotch-ale-OG.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 9
Brewed...nuttin. But bottled;
6 galSwarzbier (sp)
5 galOctoberfest
5 gal Golden Ale
Trying something new and bottle conditioning the Octoberfest (lager) in the fridge at 42d just to see what the differences might be. Before I always bottle conditioned at 65. We'll see.

Next in will be Pumpkin Ale using pumpkins from my garden.

Gittin ready to brew up another pale ale. Happy has been busy brewin and got almost all my bottles full. Iffin I kin git them all full it'll be the first time I got them all full. I got bout 19 cases of bottles on hand and 16 are full. That leaves me enough room for one more batch of pale ale. I got 10 cases of my reglar beer(happys pale ale) and 3 cases of my bpa or cascadian dark ale and 3 cases of my moonshine porter which is REALLY comin along if ya know what I mean. If I can wait till this next batch is done before we start drinkin on them I will have all my bottles full for the first time ever! I think I will hopburst this batch with the caliente hops i got and add some cascades for aroma and flavor.Gotta go, got beer to brew HAPPY brewin to Ya'll

Got a Belgian Blond set for this weekend - starter's whirlin' away in my otherwise empty chest freezer at a steady 70F. This is my first attempt at this style and also my first partial mash, and represents my 4th brew overall. This new hobby of mine is moving along quickly.

I can say with confidence; much of my success thus far has been in large part due to the help I've received from the members of this forum (the Belgian recipe included), so a great big THANKS! to all that have helped me along the way. AG is right around the corner...

My first IPA. Second Partial Mash, going hop-crazy with this one!. Might keg this brew, depends on whether or not the Keg Fairy delivers on my upcoming B'day!

10gal. Oktoberfest in kegerator conditioning
Bass Ale Clone Friday
American IPA after that

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/32001/6b-blonde

Tomorrow.  Finally...haven't brewed since May, so keeping it simple and using inventory on hand.  Single hopping this Columbia hop to try it out. 

Also will be first kegged beer ever. 

OUTCOME:  Lautered very slowly and increased EE% quite a bit.  And forgot the intended hops at flame-out entirely, but that will make it more a typical blonde.  Everything else went great for first brew in four months. 

Brewing our first Pumpkin Ale next weekend (still tightening the screws in this recipe - attached). Having fun with water adjustments and ever-increasing grain bills - gotta go full-blown AG soon - DME is getting Expen$ive!

Attachments

• Mad Jack Pumpkin Ale.bsmx
    34.5 KB · Views: 5
Thought I would try a Weizen again and use the Wyeast 3068 rather than the 3638 I ran with last time, just to see how different it is.

Recipes from Brewing Classic Styles:

Scottish 80/-

...and...

English Brown Porter

Troy said:
Thought I would try a Weizen again and use the Wyeast 3068 rather than the 3638 I ran with last time, just to see how different it is.

Big fan of that yeast.  I use the White Labs version (WLP300), but they are supposed to both be the weihenstephan strain.

Crazy vigorous fermentation....use a blowoff tube. 

I ferment that yeast at 63F for a good clove flavor.

Edit: Gonna do another American Pale Ale and experiment more with Maris Otter - possibly 90% with a few specialty grains.

This is an old thread, older than my brewing experience by far!
I'm going to be brewing a Black Butte extract clone maybe late Saturday.  Then my gear should be showing up and next weekend I'll be doing my first all grain!
I'm thinking of a simple pale ale for a first all grain.  I want to keep it simple, and I want to try it to see if it would be a good base for a pepper beer.

Took the day off so I could take kids treat or treating on halloween evening. Nothing to do during the day. BREW DAY!  Trying to work my way through Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil and Palmer. Going to brew an American Rye and increase the late hop addition and maybe dry hop some.  Never used rye or wheat before, just going to follow directions for AG: 6 lb American 2-row, 3.75 lb rye malt, and 3 lb wheat malt. Recipe on page 101. I'll keep you posted.

QUESTION:  The book recommends 2 liquid yeast packets (Wyeast 1010). According to Table 5 pg290 I should make a 2L starter. However, BS recommends 3.07?  Why 3L? Any thoughts?

Back