• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What are you brewing next? ...official brewing log thread

GoodisBeer said:
QUESTION:  The book recommends 2 liquid yeast packets (Wyeast 1010). According to Table 5 pg290 I should make a 2L starter. However, BS recommends 3.07?  Why 3L? Any thoughts?

It's theoretically possible to overpitch yeast, but you're never going to unless your starter setup is ridiculous.  Go 3L.  Hell, get a 2-gallon starter bucket and do 6L. 

You don't have to put all 6L of starter liquor in your beer.  Pop you starter into the fridge 48 hours before you brew.  The yeast will all go dormant and settle to the bottom.  You can decant the liquor off the top, leaving just enough to submerge your cake, and let it warm up for a couple hours before pitching.  I do this all the time, and my lag is about 2 hours.

Unrelated--I'm making a starter tonight to breed yeast for a Christmas ale.  Irish red with a Maris Otter base, using bitter and sweet orange peel, cinnamon, clove and spruce extract as spices, and Motueka hops.  Provisional name is "Hana kōkō," which is Maori for Santa Claus.

You have to be super careful with that spruce extract.  In small amounts, it's very pleasant with those other spices.  If it's too strong, it is not.

About 8:00 or 9:00 tonight ( after a kids birthday party ) I'm going to start a pumpkin ale.
I'm not a big fan of pumpkin beer or other things along that line, but it's a holiday thing and an experiment.

Next weekend, honey wheat.  I've got the grain yeast and honey waitting to go.

Correction...  It's about 10:50 PM and the boil is started!

I am just ready brewing a German Pils and got it in the primary.  Waiting for "Krausen" to come.
I am using WLP838-Southern German Lager for the first time. In addition I have chosen for Hallertauer Mittelfrue hops in stead off Saaz. Exciting....

I realize now that I should have called it a SMaSH German Pils after reading Brad's article about SMaSH-beers :)

I am going to do an AG adaptation of the Imperial Pale Ale from the "Extreme Brewing" book.  After that, I'm going to try a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone that I found on the internet.  It will be my first 2 all grain experiences.  We'll see how it turns out.  8)

Actually following a recipe pretty close this time and brewing the Alt beer recipe (pg 106) from the Brewing classic styles book.  I'm doing the partial mash first then the all-grain for comparison

Working my way through Brewing Classic Styles, one (or two) recipes at a time.  Next up makes 9. 

Belgian Specialty Ale: Val D'Or.  Its a golden Ale fermented with Belgian Ale yeast, and Brett in the secondary.

Just got 50 more lbs. extract gonna start brewin more beer. Right now  I got bout 15 cases bottled so I dont have many empties probly gonna have to go big. 2xpa or such. But  I am gonna do a clone of that great Tumbler autumn brown fron Sierra Nevada Its sooooo good.

Happy Brewin to ya

My next brew this week will be a Porter: my first Porter.
I hope I find the right balance in this beer using: East Kent Goldings, English Ale yeast (Whitelabs WLP 002) and on the grain bill Pale malt, Chrystal malt, Chocolate malt and Carafa.
Regards,
Slurk

I finaly got my pale ale into a keg and got it carbonated.  It was a mess getting to this point, I missed all my targets except for final gravity.  I learned a ton about my process and all grain brewing in general.

I'm sure that I'm biased, but despite all my mistakes the beer tastes really good.  It's not exceptional, but it's good beer.  I'm actually pretty proud of it.  It's cloudy like you read about, but it's got a good hppoy flavor and a dry finish.  I'm thinking that this keg won't last very long.

I have an american amber ale extract kit from Northern Brewer I need to brew up. I've waited too long already lol  :eek:

Attempting a Killians Irish Red clone Sunday.  Going to ferment as an ale, then lager the beer during secondary ferment.  Going to bottle a case of the beer and keg the rest.

My next batch will be a clone of Bell's Best Brown Ale.  This will be and extract version with steeping grains and will be bottled.  This will be my second batch ever so will will see what this one brings.  My first was an IPA which is bottled as we speak. 

imperial ipa -all grain from site-FPA 2006`may change munich malt for marus otter `question for Brad`-drewed an irish stout abv 8% out of 2nd fer after one month in basement @54-60 deg add cal ale yeast one week before bottling -forgot basement cold bottle cond dme theck syrp added to bottling bucket jently stirred`bottled as usual last 2 bottles always consumed by me @ end to check flavor etc`big time sweet poor cond mix due to cold-almost 3weeks and no carb-could i add fizz tabs and recap fast under sterile cond? this brew is not to be be touched for 4mos to be vgood -stuck on what to do add more yeast too?how much?or stick it in the basemint for 6m0s and hope for the best-DOCMYEYES ARE CRYIN !  PLEASE REPLY thanks  DOC

i am very torn on this.

i really want to try an India Brown Ale but my girlfriend (who bought me my original brew stuff) wants me to make either a chocolate stout or a coffee stout.

no matter which i go with the other will follow.

Brewing a Pliny Clone, all grain using the recipe that was published July/August 2009 Zymurgy by Vinnie Cilurzo.  This is a big challenge since it will be our (my son and I) first AG.  Can't wait to get started. 

Back