• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What are you brewing next? ...official brewing log thread

BBR, subs = learning!  I finally did that IPA. I bottled my lager and havested the yeast so I think I'm going to made a really big Bock while I have access to natural lagering.

........first hybrid, bigger boil in new valved pot, first entire boil outside, and first decoction. 

Nothing like throwing all caution and reason to the wind.   8)

Style: Kolsch
Recipe: 6C Kolsch TYPE: All Grain
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
Est SRM: 3.5 SRM SRM RANGE: 3.5-5.0 SRM
Est IBU: 23.4 IBU IBU RANGE: 20.0-30.0 IBU
Est OG: 1.052 SG OG RANGE: 1.044-1.050 SG
Est FG: 1.012 SG FG RANGE: 1.007-1.011 SG
Est BU:GU: 0.454 Calories: 222 cal/pint Est ABV: 5.10 %
EE%: 73.00 % Batch: 4.00 gal      Boil: 4.82 gal BT: 90 Mins
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
1 Pkgs        Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)          Yeast-Ale                 

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------
Gyp 1.0; CalChlr 1.5; Espom 1.5; Soda 1.0

UPDATE:  It was very nice leaving a gallon of goop in the boil pot for the first time.  Decoction was not that hard; just added time.  The more vigorous boil on propane helped with the hot pilsner break.  pH was ~5.38; I love chemicals.

All Grain Oktoberfest!  I'm gonna build a big starter of WY2006 for it.  I suppose It is a Marzen since we'll drink it in the spring. 

Either way I need to utilize the natural lagering capabilities around here for another batch.

I just did a robust porter with espresso and molasses (I call it "rustic porter").  It was a partial, but will be the last time I ever use extract again!  I'm looking forward to my new life with all-grain brewing.

Hopefully Wednesday, but sometime soon.

Style: Northern English Brown Ale
Recipe: 11C Nut Brown Ale v2 TYPE: All Grain
Est SRM: 18.0 SRM SRM RANGE: 12.0-22.0 SRM
Est IBU: 23.1 IBU IBU RANGE: 20.0-30.0 IBU
Est OG: 1.052 SG OG RANGE: 1.040-1.052 SG
Est FG: 1.013 SG FG RANGE: 1.008-1.013 SG
Est BU:GU: 0.440 Calories: 222 cal/pint Est ABV: 5.19 %
EE%: 73.00 % Batch: 4.00 gal      Boil: 5.59 gal BT: 60 Mins

Brewing an IPA withabout 142 IBU's tomorrow in a modified American IPA style. 12# grain, lots of hops and a great strain of yeast
Should be fun we are also preparing for our venture into a Classic Flanders Red, 2 months of preperation and research. Should be fun!!!

Cheers

Brewed this today.  The minerals listed gave me a London water profile.  The kolsch from a couple weeks ago got down to 1.010 and had a nice fruity tang, which was nice. 

Style: Northern English Brown Ale
Recipe: 11C Nut Brown Ale v2 TYPE: All Grain
Est SRM: 18.0 SRM SRM RANGE: 12.0-22.0 SRM
Est IBU: 24.9 IBU IBU RANGE: 20.0-30.0 IBU
Est OG: 1.053 SG OG RANGE: 1.040-1.052 SG
Est FG: 1.013 SG FG RANGE: 1.008-1.013 SG
Est BU:GU: 0.468 Calories: 236 cal/pint Est ABV: 5.27 %
EE%: 74.00 % Batch: 4.00 gal      Boil: 4.24 gal BT: 90 Mins
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
1 Pkgs        London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)            Yeast-Ale                 

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------
Gyp 0.5; CalChlr 1.0; Espom 1.0; Soda 2.3

Last friday I did:

Belgian Blond (Unibroue)
8#pils
2#veinna
.5# honeymalt
.5# carapils
90 min 1Z hallertau
90 min .25Z liberty
20 min 1Z hallertau
Wy3846 og 1.066

today, actually the next hour  I'm going to brew a Belg strong ale Quadruple stile. Extract with specialty grain,Coriander Seed and more. I hope to get a relatively sweet beer with a lot of taste

Trying to get busy

-Bottled a new Irish Red Ale a week ago
-Same weekend we brewed a malty amber ale
-This weekend we racked the amber ale and brewed a slight twist of Jamils  Call Me !  Blonde Ale ( I'm calling it Beach Blonde Ale)

Next up is an English Mild

today I brewed my firs White Beer! The smell of the wort is beautiful, even as the yeast is kicking in... ;)
5.5 gallon batch.
5.25 lbs Ger Wheat Malt
4 lbs 2-row Ger Pils
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb flaked wheat
.5 lb acid malt
.25 Aromatic
1 oz Hallertauer 3.7% 60 mins
Zest of 2 lemons, 2 oranges, an oz of Chamomile,and .5 coriander 2 mins (smells AWESOME!)
Wyeast 3944.
doughed in at 145 and heated to 152 over 2o minutes. Held 152 for 75 mins. Brought to 168 ovr 10 mins. Held for 10. Batch sparged.
I can't wait for this one!
Got to give props to Maltlicker... I was just going to use lemon and chamomile... Thanks for the peak at your recipe!  ;D

Well if I may jump in here....

Next on deck is a scottish 60/

in secondary is an american brown
in the lager freezer is a dusseldorf alt
in the fridge in a tap-a-draft is a cream ale
in the other fridge in bottles is an ipa

wow.  i need to reduce inventory. 

An Irish Red and a stout this weekend.  The stout is a first for me.  Its the BeerSmith recipe "Big Daddy Sweet Stout".  Any words of advice are greatly appreciated!

A beer, hopefully Sunday.  The notable thing being my new 50 ft 1/2 inch immersion chiller.  A friend came over and he soldered it up.  Can't wait to pump ice water through its veins.  

FOLLOW-UP:  Brewed a hefe.  With 30 gallons of tap on a hot day, got wort down to 95F, then switched to ice.  Recirc ice got down to 56F.  Total chilling time = 25 mins.  I also chilled the carboy in the freezer before filling it.  Never thought of that before.  

FIRST TASTE OF HEFE:  Bottled it today.  Realized I used whirlflock, so it will be Kristal clear.  Nice banana. Wife got some clove.  Woo hoo!

Scottish 80/-.  I need one more simple beer, hoping to finalize the "dial-in" of brewing outside.  Some people are trying water adjustment, so here's my take on that.  I write a recipe in BSmith, and using Palmer's sheet, enter the SRM in cell B8.  Cell E8 gives a midpoint for the Residual Alkalinity (RA) range, which I enter in B23, along with mash volume in C23.  Then, I enter chemicals in row 27, watching the effects in row 40.  I start with Epsom salt to get magnesium to 10.  Depending on the style/hop bittering, I use varying amounts of calc chloride, chalk, or gypsum to get the chloride:sulfate ratio to fit the style.  I'm happy if calcium if >50, and chloride & sulfate are ~50.  Then I check the RA in cell L40 and see if the SRM range includes my target.  Cells O39 and O40 indicate the C:S ratio, which here is in the top half of "Balanced" since I'm doing a malty Scottish ale.  (I don't duplicate historical water profiles (i.e., Edinburgh) because I figure today's brewers there are adjusting their water for extraction efficiency and consistency.) 

I chose not to push the water to "Malty" since I've got IBUs at only 13, but that is with FWH set at minus 10%, which I'm also tinkering with.  I judged a flight of Scots and Irish Reds recently, and the best were definitely malt-balanced with no hop flavor or noticeable bittering. 

If you're looking at other water sheets, Palmer adjusts only the mash water, and not all water. 

Attachments

• 9CScottish.bsm
    15.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Palmers_Mash_RA_ver2c SOLVER.xls
    128 KB · Views: 3
Today is brew day......Doing a Summit IPA......12# 2Row, 4# Munich, .75# Carapils, 2# Turbinado Sugar, Summit, Amarillo, and Sterling hops with Nottingham Yeast.

11/6 we are doing "teach a friend" the night before.  Inaugeral big burner batch will be a rich hoppy ipa session brew. I still need some qt on bs to devise the recipee.

Finally did the APA this morning and finally got the water and equipment calculations on the new outside set-up correct.  The wort looked like finished beer going into the fermenter. 

Attachments

• APA.bsm
    20.6 KB · Views: 2
Brewed a Zymurgy pumpkin ale recipe yesterday....wort really does smell like pumpkin pie.  Used homegrown neck pumpkin. 

Attachments

• 21AZymurgyPumpkin.bsm
    22.1 KB · Views: 1
Back