• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What is the easiest, most proficient way to fill bottles from kegs

FatherSonBrew

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am currently using a bottle filler that simply fits in the outlet of a keg picnic tap. Just started a rough flooding of bottles, in a separate open-air process with CO2. Seems to work with swing tops better than bottle capping process. Takes a little longer to cap. It's OK, but the bottle carb levels are lower than desired. I drop keg pressure to around 5 psi or less during the fill process to eliminate foaming in ambient open-air environment. I have a beer gun but between the hose, utilization requirements, valve adjustments and cleaning issues, I only have used it twice so far. So much easier and quicker to do the process mentioned above with a simple bottle filler that snuggly fits into picnic tap.
I am certain there is a better way to fill bottles. One without multiple hoses and requirements not only to turn valves but turn those valves precisely at precise intervals. Am I missing another option here?
Also wondering about increasing beer CO2 saturation value before bottle filling as another nuance. And/or adding just a pinch of sugar to bottles after or before filling.
Another option is bottling all the fermented beer. About 50 bottles, all at one time and carb in bottles. I'm thinking about it!!!
I give most my beer away, so I spend a lot of time bottling.
Very interested in your comments. Thanks!!!

I swear by the Tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler. I bought the ball lock adapter option and it couldn't be any easier. It's compact, easy to hook up and easy to use. I just opened a bottle of Porter left over from a family reunion 5 months ago and it's just like the day I filled it.

PS. they also have an adapter for filling cans which was a big selling point for me as I eventually want to start canning instead of bottling from my kegs.

I like the beer gun from Blichmann - not a full counter-pressure system but it does a good job and is quick.

Back