• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What to Brew During Different Seasons?

markeph525

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am really new to brewing. I live the Pacific NW in US and I am wanting to have some fun again. Is there appropriate types of beer to make when it is cooler vs when it is warmer? Like right now we are experiencing high 70's to mid 80's which will probably last for a few weeks before it gets warmer. My equipment is simple. The first time kit equipment and the only add-on I have acquired is a copper chiller and a propane burner and canister. Right now I guarantee I I will have to leave the fermentation process in the garage which will keep itself same temp as outside or possibly in the spare bedroom where it could be a bit cooler but not by much from rest of house or garage.

I do not subscribe to the seasonal beer philosophy. I enjoy a good Stout as much in the heat of July as the chilly nights of December. The beauty of homebrewing is that you can brew whatever you want whenever you want.

To your question there are some traditional styles for traditional seasons. A Munich Bavarian lager for example (often made in March) for consumption during Oktoberfest (which actually begins in September). There are big, bold beers like Imperial Stout, Old Ale and Barley Wine made for the colder months and called winter warmers. Often low ABV beers (sometimes called lawnmower beer) are made to quench the thirst in the heat of summer. I believe everyone at one time has made an Irish stout to serve around St. Patrick's Day and there are probably more.

As for your fermentation situation you can use Kveik yeast in very warm temperatures.... very warm, like in the 90's F. There are even strains that can be used to make what are called "pseudo" or warm fermented lager.

Good luck!

Thanks. I am going to look around see what I want to go with. I was just concerned with the heat would take it in wrong direction.

Back