• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where in the recipe do I add sugar?

Belgian Samurai

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So, I just brewed a beer and added 907g/2lb of cane sugar after the gravity reading and before pitching the yeast, but what stage of the recipe do I add that sugar in the app? I placed it in the "whirlpool" section, even though it wasn't a whirlpool by definition, but it was post boil.

Thanks in advance!

Most people add sugar in the boil to sterilize it. That's also a good option because it will be included in the original gravity so you get the right ABV estimates.

Most people add sugar in the boil to sterilize it. That's also a good option because it will be included in the original gravity so you get the right ABV estimates.
I was remiss in mentioning that I pre-boiled the water on the stove top for 10-minutes and let it cool while brewing on the turkey fryer, then took a gravity reading, then added sugar water from stove top, topped off kettle to 5 gallons, and pitched the yeast. Those screwed up steps screwed up my gravity reading and I won't do that again. Haha (My excuse: this was my first brewing in more than a year, so I had forgotten some muscle memory.) I'll make sure to get those steps in proper order next time. Regardless, it tastes great!

Follow up question:
Will 2lbs of sugar be fine in final 10 minutes of boil? Will it affect any hops added during that same time?

Thanks for the help!

Sugar, in my experience, will really kick off the fermentation. However, adding both with 10 minutes to go in the boil is fine.

Back