• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlpool temps on the Brewstep report

Steck44

Apprentice
Reaction score
In beersmith 3 do we have the ability to get the whirlpool/steep temps to show on the brewstep report along with the times?

Yes.  You can set the times and temperatures of hop additions which will be reflected in the estimated IBU.  There is also a delay "addition" (appropriately titled 'Whirlpool Delay')which will if you add it to the recipe and set the entire time of whirlpool from flame out will give you a timer delay in the whirlpool additions to account from flame out to the first addition at temperature xxx degrees.

Oginme,

Thanks for the response. A couple things. For the brewstep print out can it also display the temp along with the time? For what you are referencing where is this located? I have not been able to find such a thing.

At this time, the temperatures do not appear on the timer or brew steps print out.  The temperatures are set in the hop ingredient when you change the item to a whirlpool/steep addition.  The Whirlpool pause is added as if it were another hop and is located in the hop profiles.

I just added the steep temps to the reports for ingredient listings and the brew steps - it will be in the first update - likely later this week.

Brad

Oginme said:
There is also a delay "addition" (appropriately titled 'Whirlpool Delay')which will if you add it to the recipe and set the entire time of whirlpool from flame out will give you a timer delay in the whirlpool additions to account from flame out to the first addition at temperature xxx degrees.

Where are you finding this?

Oginme said:
The Whirlpool pause is added as if it were another hop and is located in the hop profiles.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I should find this in the "add hop" option, right? And it should be under use? Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 4.08.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 4.08.29 PM.png
    466.1 KB · Views: 494
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 4.08.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 4.08.47 PM.png
    458.3 KB · Views: 459
The "whirlpool pause hop" is located in the hop profiles.  You add it to the recipe as a 'hop' and change it to be a whirlpool hop addition, giving it a time which will last from flame out to the end of the whirlpool hopping and start of chilling.  This will align it as the first 'hop' used and will space out the other whirlpool hop additions to match your process.

Attachments

• whirlpool pause hops.JPG
    whirlpool pause hops.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 495
Okay so I have to create this hop myself? Or are you saying it should be there already? I'm not seeing it in my hop profiles (see photo).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 7.56.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 7.56.20 AM.png
    939.5 KB · Views: 486
I may have made it in BS2 and it carried over.  It is easy enough to make, just add a hop and give it no real properties.

Back