• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA?

RiverBrewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
    I just received two smack packs of Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA and I am making starters tonight.
Has anyone tried it? Comments on flavor profile?

My starters took about 30 hr. to finish, similar to English styles. My room temp. about 67-69, a little lower than normal.

This wyeast settled like stone dust. Decanting was a snap! I probably could have inverted the flask with nothing moving at all. I'm impressed!Boiling now! Restarted the starters with wort.

How about one more update! I use both White Labs & Wyeast . They are both fantastic quality products.
If you are a re-pitcher & yeast harvester, or want to try it, this is a fantastic yeast to try!  My cold break & trub, at 67 degrees, broke down to a 1/2 inch layer. On top of that, I have a layer of yeast 1 1/2 thick. I have never seen this much yeast produced in my 6.5 gallon acid bottle before. I am close to finish gravity and the beer is already flocked out. I am not one who does a secondary for primary dry hopping, but with that much yeast, I am going to rack it!

Update:
      I just racked into secondary for primary & secondary dry hopping. Unlike the starter that settled like stone dust, the 1 1/2 layer was loosey goosey so go for more increased PBV to compensate for volume lost.

Back