• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wyeat 2112

T

THE_DRUNK_ARAB

I have a good slurry of this yeast left. Can anyone recommend it for use in a Bock? I have stacks of Munich malt. Are there any other styles that this yeast lends itself to?

Regards
Mark

I would think you could use it for many American style lagers if you ferment near the low end of the temperature scale.

It would probably be OK in a Bock as well, though I can't say I have tried anything like that.

Cheers!
Brad

I use White Labs yeast, but I seem to recall that this is the Wyeast steam yeast, right? I used the WL version #810 San Fran lager to ferment a porter that's a few days out yet from being moved into a keg. It's a big beer--OG of 1.068, and it went all the way down to 1.014--so I definitely think it would work fine with a bock or something like that. Give it a shot--for me, without lagering capabilities, it's as close as I can get.

What do they say... "No guts, no glory" ;D

I will try it in a bock and see what occurs.
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Regards
Mark

OK, I brewed a very impromptu Bock on Saturday.
3 kgs Dark Munich
2 kgs Light Munich
400 g Crystal Malt (250-300EBC)
200 g Chocolate Malt

54 g Hallertau Plugs (2.9%AA) 60 minute boil

Cali. Lager yeast 2112

The SG was a bit lo for style by 2 points so started at 1062.
I will be interested to see how this yeast affects the maltiness of the Munich in the resultant beer. I will post a follow up soon.

Cheers and bollocks
Mark

Mark,
Let me know how your Bock turns out.

I have used this yeast for several years but only in my California Common. The judges liked it as it took a 2nd at the Amador County Fair in 2002.

U.J.

unclejack, it turned out reasonably well. It is very malty and clean. I think it will continue to improve for a while. I think 2112 is a good yeast for this beer. Good luck with it.

Cheers
Mark

Back