• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Amounts

pcdiver

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Some of the yeast, starters, packets, dry, etc. come in different weights, OBVIOUSLY!  

How can I change the amounts & weights  in my yeast files/inventory without changing ALL of the weight/measurements to the same units?

Let's say a 2 quart starter for X and leave the smaller volumes in ml, liters, kg, etc.

This was a difficult decision - believe it or not early betas of BeerSmith had the amount of yeast instead of measuring in packages.  Unfortunately this proved difficult to manage for inventory purposes as well since having a quart of one yeast and 50 ml of another do not necessarily make for neat inventory management.  Imaging using a 50ml pack of something you have a gallon starter of!

I personally recommend you keep track of how many packages you have in inventory, and then note a starter on the recipe itself.  That way you will have some idea of what you have in inventory and how many batches you can produce.  The issue of a starter can be handled by editing within the recipe itself.

Its not a perfect system - but if you have suggestions that might balance the needs of keeping inventory with the various sizes and variations of yeast starters and such they would be most welcome!

Cheers!
Brad

I would suggest only inventoring "packets" or other "commercial" packages.  Then have a non-inventory catagory called yeast starters.  Yeast starters may be of either slurry or "complete" types and volume (or weight) measurements applied.  

Actually if someone wants to inventory a starter, let them,  but have the new catagories of yeast (Starters, slurry and complete) to differentiate from commercially provided packaging.

Fred

Back