• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast changes Package Date when added

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score

I changed the Package Date on three yeast before adding them to Recipes.  Looked good in Inventory, and on the Add Yeast dialog, but when added to Recipe, it used today's date every time.  Fixable, but annoying to remember that it's pointless to adjust Inventory since it's the Recipe viability math that matters. 

Hi,
  Someone convinced me a few updates ago that I should change it to "todays" date when building a recipe as many people were getting very strange numbers when they brewed with yeast listings with package dates from 2008, or 2010 or whatever the default used to be.

I'm sorry about this - but most users were forgetting to set the date at all and getting very strange results for the yeast starter needed.

Brad

Seems like it should make the adjustment when added to inventory if not explicitly set by the user instead of when added to the recipe.

In my thinking, the way Brad has it set up right now is probably the best.  If it puts some old date like 2008 or something, no one would probably still have yeast that old.  The user "has" to input the yeast date, no matter what, since there is no way that BS could possible know what date is on your yeast package.

Once the user changes the date though, I agree, that once it's put into inventory and the date is adjusted at that time, that the date should carry over to a recipe when it is added to that recipe.

Back