• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast on the bottom

ChrisCapePoint

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey guys....New to this....Second brew....

I pitched yeast a little cool this evening (62 degrees) using Wyeast 3944 (belgian Wit) for an Alagash clone that I'm trying....I pitched at about 4:45 pm today, and already have trub in the bottom of the fermenter....The temp is coming up slowly, and wonder if I should give it a little stir when I get to 68 or so. If no action after 48 hours should I pitch again?

Thanks in advance guys!

I just brewed my 1st batch of beer...ever. A Belgian Wit using the 3944, but I made a starter. In 12 hours I am seeing a lot of activity, and the area I am fermenting in is around 64*. I think your temp is fine. Maine brewing told me to wait also...it may take 24 hours before you see a single bubble.

According to wyeast web site the ideal temp range for 3944 is 62-75f and the trub is just cold break and hop gunk that settles out any way. As long you see some kind of activity buy 24-36 hours after pitching I would say sit back and have a homebrew, but seeing as how this is your first batch I think a micro brew is an acceptable substitute. Welcome to the addiction.

Dont stir it dont open it dont peek, just have a beer and let it do its job. If you have no airlock action after 3 days it is usually a lid or airlock leak check that first. Dont risk contamination on unfermented wort, bottle bombs suck

Thanks for all of the assistance guys....We're bubbling quite nicely now. When in doubt, sit back and have a beer I guess.

Yup... I think you might just have learned the biggest leason in home brewing, IMHO of course, step one is always have a homebrew. Enjoy

Back