• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast rate in high gravity beer

jyor0385

Apprentice
Reaction score
Do higher gravity beers require more yeast to be pitched?  Our batch's O.G. was 1.140 (we used about 24 lbs of grain and adjunct for a 5 gal batch).  We brewed on Saturday (four days ago) and I still haven't seen any fermentation going on.  Since this batch is about twice as concentrated as a normal batch, should I pitch a second bag of yeast? ???

Here is our recipe:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
Code:
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.55 %
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 42.55 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
0.75 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.19 %
0.75 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.19 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
3.00 items Used rum barrel oak spirals (Primary 5.0min) 
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

Jesse

Yes, OG affects pitching rate.  A good calculator for that is at http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

RandomSF said:
Yes, OG affects pitching rate.  A good calculator for that is at http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Thanks Random, looks like I need to pitch another pack!  This is a great tool by the way.

yes and no.

The higher pitch rate is really more about flavor, if you ask me.
It'll definitely get the  primary ferment over quicker. If that's important to you then  there ya go.
And of course if you pitch low the primary will take  accordingly longer and your beer will be sitting on the cake longer, so there's that.

It all depends on what you want to do.

CR said:
The higher pitch rate is really more about flavor, if you ask me.

+1  The yeast make the beer, so the yeast count and how much the yeast works to complete the fermentation definitely drives the final product.  Esters, phenols in some styles, final attenuation, etc., all depend on the yeast.  I bet getting a handle on that is the X Factor in repeatability. 

All this great advice that seems to be consistent.  However, by the time I got the chance to go to the brew store, the primary had begun on its own and I decided to leave well enough alone.  Next time I do a high gravity beer, I will start with two smack-packs right off the bat.  Thanks all.  Thy wisdom shall be heeded forthrightly!  ;D

jyor0385,
            The next time you want to do a high gravity. Brew and ferment a nice ale that is easy on the yeast. Then pour the high gravity wort onto the used yeast cake. Make sure you add yeast nutrient and oxygen. The light beer is just a big yeast starter. Make sure the yeast is the one you need for the high gravity brew. As long as you don't tax the first ferment to much the second batch will explode! I have used this method many times and not only do you reuse the yeast to save a few dollars but the HG brew will start right away and be well fed and vigorous. good luck.

BobBrews said:
jyor0385,
            The next time you want to do a high gravity. Brew and ferment a nice ale that is easy on the yeast. Then pour the high gravity wort onto the used yeast cake. Make sure you add yeast nutrient and oxygen. The light beer is just a big yeast starter. Make sure the yeast is the one you need for the high gravity brew. As long as you don't tax the first ferment to much the second batch will explode! I have used this method many times and not only do you reuse the yeast to save a few dollars but the HG brew will start right away and be well fed and vigorous. good luck.

This is a great idea!  I will try this next time and will let you know how it works for me.  Thanks for the tip.

Back