• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter calculator.

Olivier

Apprentice
Reaction score
I apologies in advance for starting a "new topic" on an old subject.
I am trying to up my game on yeas starters!
Looking at the input data required for the BS Yeast starter Calculator and various others, comparing with the data available on my packed of "Saflager w-34/70, 11.5g yeast. The yeast packet does not give enough data ( no harvesting date, no viability %, etc).
My question. How do I use the calculator if I do not have the nessesary input data.
My approach to brewing is to standerise as many/much variants as possible in the process and leave as little as possible to chance.
Please direct me where to go.

It seems like there's a lot of buzz lately about how wack the calculators are.  What's the goal OG and style on the planned brew?

The Fermentis web page for 34/70 says the "best before" date is 24 months after production. The "best before" date is printed at the bottom of the packet on the side opposite the UPC code.

jtoots said:
It seems like there's a lot of buzz lately about how wack the calculators are.  What's the goal OG and style on the planned brew?
Thanx for asking.
1) Dortmunder Export = Light Lager. OG: 1054
2) imperial Pilsner = Pilsner. OG:  1079
The Yeast packet shows  barcode, lot of numbers (Lot/???) and Best before date.
Now to get all the detail from that little packet to put into the calculator is quite confusing.
2 different calculators give a starter of 21 packets vs 2,6 packets on a 23l brew.

durrettd said:
The Fermentis web page for 34/70 says the "best before" date is 24 months after production. The "best before" date is printed at the bottom of the packet on the side opposite the UPC code.
Thanx, one step closer to the truth!

Back