• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter with dry yeast?

Wingeezer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I haven't yet made any yeast starters, ut will soon - I just finished making a stir plate and it seems to work fine.

But something I am curious about ................

All the articles I read and Youtube videos I see refer to use of liquid yeast to make a starter.

The next batch of beer I will make is a partial grain kit (Brewers Best Imperial Pale Ale) and it comes with a
packet of Safale dry yeast.

Would it be a good idea to make a starter with the dry yeast, or do I just hydrate the yeast before pitching it?

If it is not needed or recommended to make a starter with a dry yeast,  why would that be?  Just curious!

Brian

Just hydrate.  The cell count in dry yeast is so high a starter isn't necessary IMO.

Mark

I've done both (hydrate, and starter) and haven't noticed a huge change in lag, either way.  But definitely use one of those two options, don't just "sprinkle" it on top.

Brew magazine just had a big article about dry yeast, and the differences between rehydrating and just sprinkling the yeast in the wort.  Good article.  I reciently went from liquid yeast to dry yeast.  Do not notice any difference in taste.

For the last fifty batches or so I have sprinkled a packet of Fermentis Safale or Saflager onto the chilled wort and within a day or two it starts doing its thing.

Never done a starter and never had a reason to complain.

Thanks for the replies guys!

In further searching on this subject, I come across a good write up about yeast and yeast starters on the  "Mr. Malty" website.

On that website, the author says there is no need at all for a starter with dry yeast,as compared to liquid yeast it contains far more yeast cells.

Not only that, he suggests it could be detrimental to make a starter with dry yeast - so I guess I won't!

Brian.

mrmalty is Jamil Zainasheff's site.  Awesome support info there, and he has been a guest on Brad's podcast, as well as having his own, at the brewingnetwork site.  I'm not big on reading, so the podcasts from Brad, and the Brew Strong show, at the brewing network, have really taught me a lot.

Back