• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast starter'

Jivinwilly70

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok. In the Tools menu there is the option to open the Yeast Starter Options, which all look like Greek to me.  So, with one smack pack. I make a starter by adding 1/2 cup dme to pint of water and pitch the yeast into a 1/2 gal jug.  Wait 24 hours and repeat.  From that, how do I use the yeast starter option calculator to determing what the end starter will calculate out. ???

The yeast starter options are settings that allow the user to set personal pitching rates or growth factors based upon the user experience.  I would not recommend changing anything in these settings without a full understanding of the impact of that change.

Now, you are looking at a modified two stage starter, which is not covered by the stand alone starter tool.  If you are making this starter for a specific recipe, I would very highly recommend that you use the yeast starter tab in that recipe to match up the estimated cell counts with what the recipe requirements would be.  The yeast starter tab in the recipe does allow for a two step starter.

Since your starter is kind of loosey, goosey anyway, you can probably lump it all in as one starter and combine the two steps for purposes of getting an estimation of cell counts. 

I hope you're boiling and cooling that starter...
whats the sg of the starter?
why create a starter so small? it will have little impact at that size. Generally a starter of at least 2L would be appropriate for a smack pack. You may actually be doing more harm than good with your methodology there.

Click on the starter tab and look for the box that tells you how many cells recommended for your recipe. Then look for the box where you enter the starter size... I usually start with 1 liter... increase or decrease that value until the estimated cell count is in the ballpark of the recommended count. Off the to of my head I  believe it will even tell you how much DME is needed to reach the default starter gravity (which I believe is 1.036).

That's the basics of it. If you use a stir plate check that box too as it will affect the cell count. Also, if you pitch the entire starter you should probably check that box too. Another tip is to make sure you enter the package date into the software. An estimate of how many viable cells there are in you yeast package is made from that date.

Back