• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starters

T

Tom Ussery

I am starting to make two five gallon batches of all grain beer in a brewing session.  I used to make only one.  The two batches that I make are yeast compatable always.  For a five gallon batch I use one tube of wyeast.  I still only want to use one tube, but for two five gallon batches.  I have been told that one tube may not have enough yeast for both batches, so my questions are: how do you make a good yeast starter?  How long should it go before it is ready to split and pitch into both batches?  Please help!

Tom,
 There are basically two options:
 1) Use two tubes
 2) Make a starter!

To make a starter, all you need to do is purchase some dry malt extract and a bit of spare hops (you can use whatever hops you have laying around - the hops helps to prevent infection).

Colin created a very nice scaleable recipe for a yeast starter in the October 2003 recipes at this link:
 http://beersmith.com/recipes.htm

You can view the recipe there or download it using the link and then scale it to suit your needs.

I usually boil up about 1/2 to 1 gallon at a time and then store it in large capped sterilized bottles until I need a starter.  Then I uncap the bottle, add the yeast and put a stopper and airlock on it.

I usually let the starter ferment for at least 1-2 days before pitching it.  Ideally you want the starter actively fermenting when you pitch it.

If you need additional advice - try posting on our "General Brewing" forum - I know there are several regulars there who use their own starters.

Cheers!
Brad

Back