• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

You may have another copy running

shadowlord256

New Forum Member
Reaction score
On several occasions now I have received the message "You may have another copy running", which I know that I don't.  I click on open program and I find that all of my custom recipes are going.  Twice now I have re-entered my recipes only to find them gone the next time I open the software.  Any one have any suggestions.  I love the software, but it does me no good if I keep losing my recipes.

If you are using windows, this sometimes happens when a program does not completely close before shutting down or going to sleep.  When I see this warning, I open task manager and check and there is almost always BeerSmith running as a user opened task.  Click on this and the program will open up.  I also do not remember ever losing recipes when I have done this, but then I almost always save the recipe every time I need to pause my development or editing of a recipe.

I get this all the time never happened in BS 2 It's irritating and I've lost loads of data.

I just had the same issue; when I clicked to run the program anyways. I lost all the recipes I had entered for the past 6 months....so frustrating.

Hopefully someone in development will read this and can help resolve this issue; or at least show how to recover these files?

thanks in advance if you see this Brad =)

I just had this happen and I seem to have lost every recipe in my BrewLog since 2002! If I cannot recover then I will be VERY unhappy!

OK, I was able to restore all but 1 recipe from a backup and found an archived version of the missing recipe. The restore from backup or archive isn't very user friendly and it seems to create a new backup each time you open it and with only 5 backups there is a risk that the one you want scrolls off and/or renames and you just end up with copies of your incomplete log which kind of defeats the object!

I continuously get this error and have searched Task Manager etc to ensure there is not another copy running. There is not. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Numerous times. My account is logged into an iPad as well but will that actually mess up the software? I have been trying to remedy this issue for the last month and previously wrote it off as an error which the Windows 10 updates created. I have been unable to use this license on my computer for a month now...can someone please offer up a remedy other than completely resetting my computer and starting from scratch. 

I get this message at least once or twice a week.  Got it few minutes ago and when it opened, all my changes from last month were gone.  Went to recipe archive and all that was there was 3 recipes from this morning.  Was able to restore from back up...but this is very very annoying. 

I get the message occasionally, and it usually occurs right after a Microsoft update.  For some reason when Microsoft forces a shut down of my computer, it does not close BeerSmith correctly and corrupts the data files.  Both times I have encountered the corrupted files I have been able to recover using the BS archives.  I tend to open BS and leave it running for many days at a time during this part of the year and that may contribute to the few issues that I have had with this problem.

I just had the same problem again. Again, I lost a lot but was able to restore from backup. This shouldn't be happening and it never happened with BeerSmith2.  :mad:

I get this constantly on Mojave 10.14.3 as well as other numerous problems. Great software but terrible OS compatibility. BS3 constantly crashes on my brand new iMac and won't even force quit. FIX THIS ALREADY. Fortunately I haven't lost any cloud or local recipes. But continually restarting my iMac to clear this issue is bloody frustrating.
Other problem I have constantly is the doubling or tripling of recipes shown in cloud on iphone, ipad and imac.

Portas, I've got a 6 month old iMac running 10.14.3 and have not had a single issue. no doubling recipes, no crashing, no "you may have another copy" etc. Seems to work flawlessly for me. Maybe i'm just lucky  8)

I got this for the first time yesterday and when I was finally able to re-open it, the program was running very very slow. Trying to print took minutes. The interface also was very glitchy and non-responsive. Should I delete BeerSmith2? Would be nice if we can get an official word on this issue with a time frame of when it will be fixed.

I'm running BeerSmith3 on a MacBook Pro, macOS 10.14.3.

When I first got BS3 I had the same problem and thought it was due to running BS2 and BS3 at the same time. I was doing a of of transferring of recipes at the time. Now I use BS2 for storing a couple hundred recipes that I may, or may not, ever use and BS3 for my regular brewing software. I sometimes have both opened at the same time without a problem.

Oginme, who I consider to be "The BeerSmith Guru", posted in the past that when he has this problem it appears to be related to Windows updates shutting down the computer without properly closing the program. This makes sense to me because, when I had the problem occur, I had some serious performance issues which have since been resolved.

BOB357 said:
Oginme, who I consider to be "The BeerSmith Guru", posted in the past that when he has this problem it appears to be related to Windows updates shutting down the computer without properly closing the program. This makes sense to me because, when I had the problem occur, I had some serious performance issues which have since been resolved.

Only I am running BeerSmith 3 on a Mac and not Windows, so in this situation it does not make sense.

Let me shed some light on this.  After you close BeerSmith, it continues to operate archival features in the background for a short period of time.  Shutting down the computer, forced restarts, or low power shutdowns disrupt this operation.  When you go to restart BeerSmith, it reads that the archives are still being updated or that some of the archives are missing and assumes that the program is still operating.  This is what gives you the error message.  You can force open it and may find that as some of the archives are missing, you have lost some of the files or folders (usually recipe related).  Brad has put up a blog on how to recover the missing archives and commented on another thread that he is looking into how to protect the files from this issue occurring. 

I don't know if this is the exact same for Macs as it is for Windoze computers.  I used to keep a running copy of BeerSmith open to quickly look up commands and procedures to answer questions here on this forum and others, but now shut it down when not in active use.  I have not had an issue since adopting this practice.

J Brewing said:
BOB357 said:

Only I am running BeerSmith 3 on a Mac and not Windows, so in this situation it does not make sense.

I see that, but I was responding to the OP.

Back