• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello from New Zealand

David R

Apprentice
Reaction score
Finally got around to purchasing the software only to discover it comes with [another!] forum to browse, cool!

I've been brewing for a couple of years now, made the switch to AG about a year ago and have been making 12L (~3.2g) batches by mashing in a cooler using a grain bag. I'm limited to 12L at the moment as A; I only have an 18L pot and B; at this level of experience I usually come up with a bunch of changes/improvements after tasting a few bottles and prefer not to have to drink another 20L before getting to try again! I'll increase my capacity some time this year for the "tried-and-true" favourites, but I'm quite happy with the ratio of work:beer my current set up gives me.

Cheers,

David.

You guys can legally distill for home use, can't you?  I wish we could do that in the Land of the Free. Freedom sucks.

Hah. There are many things I am envious of your country for too, I have little interest in spirits/distilling but believe it is perfectly legal to do so here.

What part of new Zealand? I travel there on business 3 to 4 times a year.

Whangarei, Northland. couple of hours north of Auckland. I hope for your sake your business involves Wellington, there's not much in the way of good beer this far north!

Blenheim and auckland mostly.

I love renaissance brewery in Blenheim.  That is a world class place.

Hallertau in auckland is nice too... But, it's not as nice as renaissance. 

Yeah Hallertau is great, haven't been to Reniassance yet but I do enjoy their beers. If you like English style beers (and even if you don't, they do a few other styles too) then Galbraith's Alehouse in Auckland is a must-visit, one of my favourite pubs and one of the few things I miss about the big city.

Back