• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Prime before kegging?

M

mrroosky

I have 5 gallons of Traditional German Dortmunder beer that will be ready to transfer into a Corney keg (as soon as I clean it).  The kit came with priming sugar (assuming I was to bottle it), but since I will be kegging it, should I still use the priming sugar or not? ???
Harry

I use priming sugar (corn sugar or glucose) in all my keeged beers. I like the natural generation of CO2 versus forced carbonation. I say use it but purge the filled keg with CO2 to get out the air initially.

Dr Malt :D

Its your choice.  Personally, I just keg my beer and then put it in the fridge at about 12 lbs of pressure.  It will fully carbonate after a few days by itself under pressure.

Cheers!
Brad

I put mine under 25 lbs of co2 for 2 days (after purging the the air out), then before I put it on tap I let out all the co2 and presurize at 12 lbs and it's ready to drink.

There is a risk of infection with natural carbination in a corny as you have a big air space at the top, and what if the corny does not seal with the slower natural process.  I think purging the keg with co2 will help with the air space issue but there still is the issue of the corny's O ring leaking or taking longer to seal than necessary.

Just my 2 cents.

Marc

I've done both. It might be cheaper to naturally condition, and I like to do it that way for the beer engine, but usually its force-carb. Either way, purge the keg before racking. Best thing about kegging is being able to purge everything. Lately I even purge my tub before a bath. Niiiiiice. ;)

Back