• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New items in ingredients

F

FrugalBrewer

I would like to see a couple additions in the ingredients database files;

Grains/Extracts - Sugar - Maple Syrup with Liquid Measures (Oz)
Grains/Extracts - Sugar - Rice Solids

And a new tool/dialog.

A tool for tasting value data entry in addition to existing notes section that will calculate and return total to taste rating block.

Hi!
  With regards to the Maple Syrup, weighing it is much more accurate because difference syrups can have different densities.  Measuring by liquid volume can therefore lead to inaccuracies with regards to how much sugar is actually being added.

With regards to solid rice - I do have flaked rice and rice hulls in the existing database.  The flaked rice is the more popular brewing additive since it can be directly added to the mash.  Is there another type of rice solid you are referring to?

The totals in the rating block are related to the BJCP score.  You can check out the BJCP web site to see how the 50 point scale is determined.  I was reluctant to do that in the program as the scoring system is copyrighted by BJCP.

Cheers!
Brad

I cant really say exactly. The Rice solids I get from my LHBS are simply in a powdered form, almost the same consistency as corn sugar.

FrugalBrewer said:
I cant really say exactly. The Rice solids I get from my LHBS are simply in a powdered form, almost the same consistency as corn sugar.
I wonder about this ingredient too.. I have a recipe that calls for 8 oz. of "Rice Syrup Solids"

A quick Google shows they can be purchased, but I'm not really sure how to add this item to Beersmith..

Back