• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract Recipe OG is way off

Hello

Apprentice
Reaction score
I bought an extract kit just before I moved to all grain from Rouge Beers. It is their Shakespeare Stout. The kit came with the following:

Base:
3 lbs brewers gold DME
2 lbs dark DME
1 lb dark belgian candi sugar

Specialty Grains:
1 lb pale 2-row malt
.5 lb flaked oats
1 lb chocolate malt (I inputted this into beer smith as US chocolate malt)
.75 lb roasted barley
.25 crystal malt

4 oz of cascade (2 oz @ 60 2 oz @ 15)

Inputting this into BeerSmith, the OG is 1.052. The SRM and IBU are nearly spot on to what the Rouge recipe shows. The OG, according to Rouge's brew sheet is 1.070. If I change Beer Smith to give me the recipe so I hit 1.070, the fermentables are clearly increased. I understand that the specialty grains are grains that steep and I won't get as much out of them, but knowing this is an extract kit which includes instructions to steep those grains,  I wonder why BeerSmith shows the OG to be so far off.

It almost seems as though BeerSmith is way more accurate than this brew sheet but it really makes me wonder.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi,

A couple things to check. 

The first is the recipe Type set to Extract?  If it is set to All Grain, then efficiency comes into play which will throw your numbers off.

The second is your equipment profile.  Does it match the equipment you are using, and does it match what the kit calls for?

-Dan

drb1215 said:
Hi,

A couple things to check. 

The first is the recipe Type set to Extract?  If it is set to All Grain, then efficiency comes into play which will throw your numbers off.

The second is your equipment profile.  Does it match the equipment you are using, and does it match what the kit calls for?

-Dan
Yeah I double checked that, I re-entered everything and still came up short. It's odd.

According to the Rogue web site, the commercial version of this beer starts at 15 Plato°, which translates to an OG of 1.061. The BJCP style guidelines call for a maximum OG of 1.065 for an oatmeal stout.

Could the instruction sheet OG be a typo?

Anytime I see pale malt in steeping grains, I'm inclined to think it's a partial mash.

I think that will take you closer to the stated recipe gravity.

BeerPal said:
According to the Rogue web site, the commercial version of this beer starts at 15 Plato°, which translates to an OG of 1.061. The BJCP style guidelines call for a maximum OG of 1.065 for an oatmeal stout.

Could the instruction sheet OG be a typo?
It has to be. I reworked it and adjusted everything and never got to their stated OG. I e-mailed them a week ago, no response. I hope they fix it.

Back