• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermenting with WLP810 San Francisco Lager

thassum

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm brewing a lager with WLP810, and I wonder if any of you guys have experience with it. I've just made a starter and the package states that you should keep it at 21-24C until proof of fermentation, but according the Beersmith application max temperature is about 18C for this yeast. What is the best temp to keep the starter at??

Hi Thassum,
My procedure with pils/lager yeast (assuming a correct pitch rate):
Keep your starting temperature in the lower area of the recommended starting temperature stated on the package. By signs of fermentation activity after a couple of hours, in combination with good aeration (at pitching and 8-10hrs later), I use to start slowly reducing the temperature to around 14c while monitoring yeast activity. During this process, keeping the yeast active is more important for me than getting a.s.a.p. to the lowest fermentation temperature.
I continue this process towards recommended fermentation temperature, in my case typically 9-11c. In your case with WLP810, and dependent on beerstyle chosen, White labs describe optimum fermentation temperature between 14-18c. In addition they describe: "Can also be fermented down to 10c (50F) for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers." You have some options here. The main thing is to monitor your fermentation activity along the way down to the (lowest) fermentation temperature you prefer.
The other thing: temperatures inside your fermentation kettle could be considerably higher during a thorough fermentation than outside your kettle.

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp810-san-francisco-lager-yeast

R, Slurk

Thanks!

Yes, I'm doing a hoppy lager and according to the recipe I should ferment at 14C for about 2 weeks. Fermentation started well after 5 hours at 21,5C. I've then reduced the temp in steps and I'm now down at 13,5C (inner temp) after 22 hours. Fermentation is active with several bubles every 5 sec. I'm measuring both the inner temp and the outside temp (a probe is taped to the outside of the fermeter and covered with insulation). The strange thing is that the outside temp is 13,4C while the inner temp is only 13,5C. I now plan to increase the inner temp to 14C. Is this wise, or should I increase even more?

Keep it where it is. In addition, Whitelabs describe that this WLP810 strain also can be fermented down to 10c for production of lagers.
R, Slurk

Back