• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Red X Malt

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this malt? I ass it on the lhbs website and now I am intrigued.
I'm thinking about brewing a couple small test batches with it. Maybe a SMaSH Barleywine and an amber ale, bittered with magnum and late hopped with a hint of simcoe

http://www.baderbrewing.com/products/base-malt/red-x-malt-11-13l

Holy cow!  That stuff is $20 more a bag than Maris Otter.  $89.99 for a 55 lb. bag.  I like to experiment, but not at that price.

That malt is a very new offering. It was introduced late last year and put on the supplier price list, this year. That's a cool LHBS to carry it this quickly. And, nope, I haven't tried it, either.

If you do use it, let us know what you thought.

brewfun said:
That's a cool LHBS to carry it this quickly.

We're very lucky here in Vancouver, Wa to have Baders!  Fantastic store and the employees are knowledgeable.  All of them are experienced homebrewers with at least half of them members of our homebrew club.

One of the reasons I am thinking about a 3 gal or less test batch.
I will have to let you all know how it goes. I am hoping maybe someone out there has used it already.

Picked up my ingredients today.
3 gal batch size. Im posting this from my phone so I don't have a beersmith attachment to include.

7.5 lb red x
Mash @ 154 for an hour
1/3 oz magnum 60 min
1/3oz simcoe 10 min
1/3oz simcoe flameout steep
1/3 oz simcoe dry hop

Pacman yeast
OG 1.060
Ibu 34
Srm 15
6% abv

Save me a bottle, when it's finished. 

I bottled my Pendlevanhoneyton Porter yesterday.  Pendle for the two pints of Pendleton whisky in it.  Van for the 3 Vanilla beans in it.  Honey for the 5.23 ounces of honey used at bottling for carbonation.  And ton, for the end of Pendleton.

I'll put a 22 ounce bottle of it away for you!!  The taste at bottling was wonderful.  I mashed high for some extra body and residual sweetness.  I have high hopes for this one.  The ABV on it is 8.5%.  It should age really well.

Update:

I found some specs on Red-X. Attached are a BSMX profile and the PDF from Bestmaltz.

The Diastatic potential is based on 10l Munich. Just a guess based on probable starting moisture content and post kilning color. If someone is able to post a lot number, I think I can get more detail.

Attachments

• Red_X.pdf
    332.3 KB · Views: 1,853
  • Red-X.bsmx
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,098
I just doughed in
3 gallon batch size
7.5 lb Red X malt 12* lovibond
1/3 oz magnum (13.2% aa) 60 min
1/3 oz simcoe at 10, flame out and dry hop

1.060 est OG
34 Ibu
16 Srm
1.015 fg for around 6% abv +/-

Brewmex41 said:
I just doughed in
3 gallon batch size
7.5 lb Red X malt 12* lovibond
1/3 oz magnum (13.2% aa) 60 min
1/3 oz simcoe at 10, flame out and dry hop

1.060 est OG
34 Ibu
16 Srm
1.015 fg for around 6% abv +/-

and........you didn't invite me over.  I'm saddened by this!  ;)

Scott I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife and son over by mill plain and choklov. The brewing area is very small lol. But I will be sure to save you a bottle or two. maybe I can trade you for something you have.

Hey, Scott, What did you think of that Red X IRA today? I am thinking about using it in a Traditional Bock Lager in conjunction or in place of Munich malt typical of the Traditional Bock style.

I thought the taste was great.  The color seemed to be lacking though.  I expected it to be more of a red and much clearer.  It was cloudy.  The appearance didn't live up to the red X hype on that one.

Update. This picture sucks and its almost not worth posting because the brew looks jet black but its really just a deep red color. Its been cold crashing about a week or so. Whenever I'm not feeling lazy ill get around to bottling it.

Attachments

• IMAG0118-1.jpg
    IMAG0118-1.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 776
Finally a picture to update. I kegged and crank-and-shake carbonated this one.
Tastes like a base malt with a hint of extra added .malt sweetness. I'll probably use it a lot more

Attachments

• IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,210
Back