• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Saccharification, mash out question

steve2u42

Apprentice
Reaction score
This is from the Brew steps:

Saccharification Add 33.00 qt of water at 162.8 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min
◯ If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

◯ Add water to achieve boil volume of 7.41 gal
◯ Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.046 SG

I am doing a BIAB brew. I understand from the above information i should add 33 qt of water, bring water temperature up to 162.8F add my grains in. I will get to 156F and cover for 60 minutes.
Then heat the pot to 168F , turn off pot for 7 minutes and remove grains. Place on colander and let drip and wring or press rest out.  At same time i can bring pot up to boiling and continue as I would for a normal batch.
My question is, if I have my equipment profile set up right, I should not need to add any more water. RIGHT?  Why does the Brew Steps tell me to add till I get to the 7.41 gals?

Look at your "edit the mash profile for this recipe" that's were you'll set it up for a BIAB or traditional mash tun. As far as adding water to get your pre-boil volume, this is something you have to check to insure that's the volume you start your boil at and you may or may not have to add. If you do you'll have to adjust setting in your equipment profile that you set up.

I did edit the mash profile to BIAB medium body. Thanks. I guess what i wrote down to do was correct. the only adjustment would be to change my equipment profile if i do have to add water.

Back