• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

All Grain to Extract conversion issues

flbrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here and really enjoying BeerSmith so far! I have some questions an all grain recipe that I am converting to extract (Fortunate Islands by Modern Times Beer). The specs (O.G., color, IBUs. etc.) stay the same, ABV drops by a very small margin. What is confusing me is the grain bill percentages changes by a lot.
The all grain recipe's grain bill are;
~50% Pale 2 row
~45% White Wheat Malt
~4% Caravienne Malt
~2% Acid Malt
When converted to extract the bill goes to;
98% Wheat LME
1.4% Pale LME
.6% Caravienne Malt
No Acid Malt
Also, it doesn't seem to matter what I select as my base malt. If for instance I select Pale DME, it won't even include this in the new recipe. Thanks for any guidance!

You won't need acid malt, that's a pH adjustment, not a flavor.

Wheat malt extract is typically 40% to 50% pale malt. That corresponds to typical percentages in most wheat beer styles. The recipe is 45% wheat, 50% pale malt. So, to me, it looks like BeerSmith is assuming your wheat extract is 60% wheat, 40% pale. The additional pale malt extract is to correct for the recipe percentages.

flbrewer said:
Also, it doesn't seem to matter what I select as my base malt. If for instance I select Pale DME, it won't even include this in the new recipe. Thanks for any guidance!

I think the substitution is based on what the recipe grain profile names as the extract substitute.

brewfun said:
flbrewer said:

I think the substitution is based on what the recipe grain profile names as the extract substitute.

Would you clarify that please?

Profiles > Grain

Click on a malt grain. At the bottom of the profile it says, "When converting to extract, replace this with"

For that to work, there has to be an identically named extract in your grain ingredients list.

"You won't need acid malt, that's a pH adjustment, not a flavor."

I have been trying acid malt as 8.5% of my profile in a Rye IPA and it adds a very nice sour flavour. Typically in a Berliner Wiesse you find 10% acid malt. I find in an IPA it blends well with a citra dry hopped.

Back