• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Which crystal for stout?

Pahlavan

Brewer
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am trying to decide which level crystal malt to add to my next oatmeal stout, what differences and similarities are there between 200 and 340 ebc in terms of taste?

The darker the crystal malt is the deeper the flavor will get. You'll start getting more burnt caramel, plum like notes the darker you go.
Can you post the rest of the recipe? I usually start middle of the road on my crystal malt for darker beers, like the 60* lovibond (not sure what that equals out to in ebc)
Then ill add chocolate or roasted malts for color and roasty flavor.
Chocolate malt for porters and roasted malts for stouts. That's just me tho. 

I usually start middle of the road on my crystal malt for darker beers, like the 60* lovibond (not sure what that equals out to in ebc)
Then ill add chocolate or roasted malts for color and roasty flavor.

60L crystal is good to keep around. Special B adds a nice flavor.

I usually darken mine up with a mix of Black Patent, roasted barley and chocolate malt.  Black Patent adds color with minimal flavor, while the other two have their own distinctive tastes.

I've done a few.stouts and I find if you omit crystal malt add some lactose the results are promising. And caramel rye as well...one of.The best oatmeal stout I've had.

Back