• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Has anyone on here grown their own hops

Yes but the variety can affect the yield and your location.  In Maine three yeasrs ago Iplanted Williamettes and cascades.  The W died after two years and yielded about nothing.  The cascades are going wild, they are all over my hop garden.  But my son in Virginia had the opposite result, cascades dies  and W is doing quite well.  you have to experiment.  Mine get full sun and crawl up a 16 line attached to our upper deck.

I've finished harvesting my first year nugget and now have just under five pounds of wet hops drying in my garage. I reckon that's pretty good for a single bine. I guess that should give me about a pound once they're dry.

I've never brewed with nugget so I'll q do a single hop pale ale with some MO, a little Crystal and hop at 60, 15 and flameout. I'll assume an alpha acid of about 11% and calculate an IBU of about 50. That should be about right.

They smell very spicy and there's a lot more citrus aroma than I expected. I'm looking forward to tasting them in a beer.

Back