• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

proper way to increase batch size using BS2

signal2noise

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

For most of my brews I have 5.5 gallons at the end of boil reaching the fermentor. I have this volume (5.5gal) set in my personal equipment profile as both batch and bottling volume because I rarely lose much.

However there are time I want to create a brew where I have a more than 5.5.gal at the end of boil so I could add lots of hops to the boil or in dry hop and still have 5 gallons reaching the the corny.

My question is, where do I have to adjust this volume. (1) Do I have to set a new equipment profile for this batch size? (2) Modify my existing equipment profile to the batch volume I desire before I design the recipe?  (3) Or can I simply use the existing equipment profile and change the batch size on the design tab (recipe)?

I ask because when I do the later, choice 3, I don;t seem to hit the same gravities BS2 suggests. Whereas if I brew the smaller batch my gravities seem perfect.

I hope this makes sense enough that some of you can take a shot at it.

Prost.

It seems to me that it would be a fermentor loss.  On your equipment profile there is a place for fermentor loss.  I'd create a special equipment profile that is identical to the one you use, except I'd put the expected extra loss there and I'd increase the batch volume to account for that, so that I ended up with what I wanted to bottle.

It will cause changes though, as you expected.  You'll need more grain and hops to reach your desired starting gravity, since you have to start with more volume.

+1 to what Scott suggested. But, that alone won't help the kettle volume.

Where you want to make the change is in the equipment profile for the recipe you need the increased volume.

For more in the fermenter, you'll need to increase batch size, as you already have. That yield is then available for more loss to dry hop.

For more kettle hop loss, you have to account for what's left behind.

You do this in the "loss to trub and chiller field." HOWEVER! you must also decrease your Brewhouse efficiency by the same percentage that this increase in volume represents. Simply, less malt sugar is getting to the fermenter, so it's a loss of efficiency.

Your gravity will go down from the increased overall wort volume. You'll have to add a bit of malt or extract to make up the gravity.  IBUs may fall a little, too. Same solution; just add a bit more.

Thanks for the responses! I'll have to consider this information tonight and before I brew my black IPA tomorrow.

Prost.

Back