• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Top water adition

carlos arzeno

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello
        In order to get some extra liters I'm looking forward on getting a higher than the target OG and adding boiled water (the evaporated  amount )to the kettle thus arriving to the desired OG. Is there any feature in Beersmith that allows me to do this without any extra hand calculations? I found that modifying my equipment profile on the right column where it reads "top up water" and putting 6 liters (my evaporation in 90 minutes) and changing the batch size from 36 liters to 45 (36 + 6) might work but I'm not sure at all.
        While checking all these calculations I found that Pre boil Vol. X Pre boil Gravity  is not equal to Post boil gravity X Post boil Gravitybeing gravities in Plato degrees which is the  equation of the Rule of Mixtures (I don't know if in English you call it that way in Spanish we call it Regla de las Mezclas) . At least this is what I can see in the Brewsteps.

I'd thank any advise or explanation .

Carlos

Hi Carlos;

The dilution tool in BeerSmith will do the job you're asking. It sounds like you backed your way into the answer, through your equipment profile.

The dilution tool is also good for post fermentation dilutions. However, you'd want to use distilled and deaerated water for that.

Back