• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Size Help

P

Prowler_13

I do not believe that batch size accounts for losses between the kettle and the primary.  I think batch size should be Target into the fermenter plus losses in transfer from the kettle.  Batch size for sure will not account for losses from a large hop addition with whole hops.

I was looking for answers to batch size and I ran across this.  I seem to have come up with a solution which has lead to another problem.  I use 3.5 Gallon and 6 Gallon batch sizes to get 2.5 Gallon and 5 Gallon in my fermenter.  I like to pull off all the clear wort and leave behind all trub and I don't mind using the extra grain to accomplish this.

This means when I go to bottle I have remember to change the batch size to get the right corn sugar amount in order to avoid bottle bombs.

I wish there was a way to put in the correct batch size for the fermenter and still have the amount in the fermenter I need as mentioned above.  Any solution to this.  I did try to put in the program 1 gallon loss to trub and this didn't seem to be the answer although I thought it would.

Jerry,
  There are two ways to handle this -

BeerSmith uses overall brewhouse efficiency, so the trub losses are not calculated since trub loss is treated just like any other loss.  Therefore you could just use your actual finished batch size and trub loss and lower your efficiency until you reach your target SG every time.

Alternately, some brewers prefer to have brewhouse efficiency represent efficiency before trub loss (i.e. the post-boil efficiency).  In this case you would use the larger batch size (3.5 or 6 gallons) as your batch size and don't include the trub losses.  This will work fine but also will result in higher efficiency numbers.

The decision is yours - personally I prefer the first option.

Cheers!
Brad

I will have to play around with this to see what is the best way.  One reason I am going to possibly stick with #1 is that there are several factors that can influence the sugar calculation because of changes in final volume.  Some I lose to racking and add if I add fruit or fruit puree. 

It would be nice, and I know you have too many projects already, but if we had a field for final volume in the carbonation calculation area, none of this would matter. 

Back