• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

molasses in a porter

davidrgreen

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hi guys

My next batch of beer (tomorrow night) is going to be a porter using a bohemium larger yeast and I'm considering the addition of 250ml of Molasses. just wondering f you think its a good idea or if anyone has done something similar?

I've never used molasses, so I can't really comment on that.  My question is why are you using the lager yeast?  Porters are made with ale yeasts, as porter is an ale.

baltic porters are often made with lager yeast. not that unusual.

250 ml is about the limit of what I would use. it's pretty intense stuff. I'd maybe even drop it to ~175 for this first try, if it's not enough bump it up next batch. Or add 175 ml to the kettle close to flamout, stir and taste. enough? it'll fade a bit during fermentation but not a ton. not enough? add more!

I learned something new today.  I've never made a Baltic Porter, so I had no idea.  Thanks!!

Yes a baltic porter is what im going for as my cold room is at a low temperature..... Also don't forget as a home brewer we are able to experiment with new ideas and switch things up.... Yeast is one of the main influential ingredients and a larger yeast makes for a nice crisp brew.. Thanks for the advice, ill certainly add it at flame out and start low and work my way up from there..... Can't wait to get brewing tomorrow...

You should start with a light molasses.  My  tendency would be to start with Blackstrap and work back and I am usually wrong.  The only recipes I have found are by Sam Calagione.  If you google it its under extreme brewing.  Blackstrap is a lot less fermentable

Back