• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't find certain grains on the recipe menu

Slobrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am making an extract Irish Red Ale and can not find two of the ingredients on the grain menu. First one is "Ultralight Malt Extract" and the second is "Abbey." It could be me, this is only my second recipe using this software.

The ingredients in BeerSmith are comprehensive, but are not 100% complete. That list would be exceedingly cumbersome to have to scroll through.

Instead, BeerSmith lets you add ingredients based on what interests you and is available. Ingredients tab > Grain > Add Grain.

Your next challenge is to interpret various ingredients for what you can get.

Ultra light extract is interchangeable with Pilsen (pilsner), "extra light" and golden extracts.

Abbey malt is a red/brown malt with some dried fruit character. It's made by Weyermann and Castle malt companies. Substitutions are Special B, Briess Extra Special Roast, Gambrinus dark Munich, and brown malt.

Thank you for the response, I knew the software wouldn't have all the answers. I seem to be using ultralight malt extract a lot with added grains, so good to know what I can use as a substitute in the software.

Back