• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Starting to Keg

maerlma

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm over bottling. Really. I want to start kegging, but having a kegerator (DIY or otherwise) in the house is a no go on strict orders from SWMBO. I'm stumped on how to get around this, because we really dont have the room for another refrigerator. So, how do you guys do it? Is there a way to keep a keg at drinking temps without a dedicated refrigerator?

Cellar temperatures?  How cold is it in your basement?  If you make great beer, that should be argument enough for a kegerator.  I keg now too and my kegerator has 4 taps.  I recently started working at Sprecher Brewery and my employee discount makes it tempting to make another kegerator for a 1/4 barrel.

Still working on "SWMBO"... nvm, I just got it.  I have one too.

Keep the kegs in the coolest location allowed and use the heaviest frozen steins you can find. Good news: you won't get ice-cold beer!

What about some form of Jockey Box or plate chiller solution?  I use a kegerator but I am assembling a jockey box for when I want to take kegs on the road. 

I wonder if Brew Jacket would help with this.

Their immersion pro is supposed to allow for you to control fermentation temps without having a fridge, but if you go on their "drilled lids" page, they sell lids for corny kegs suited for the immersion pro:

https://brewjacket.com/collections/drilled-lids

This might be something to inquire directly with them--whether you can use it for serving.

Back