• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low ABV..Help!

rockman49

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have now brewed my fifth batch of beer, all DME. They all taste pretty good but the ABV is low, usually around 3-4%. I have brewed a brown ( which was my first batch and is the only one with a higher ABV), Belgium Wit, Stout, IPA, and a Sour Ale. I followed the recipes and even tried to add more DME at the beginning of the boil. I have only been using White Lab yeast. Can anybody give me some suggestions. Thanks

There possibly may be an issue with fermentation, or it could be water volumes; there are plenty of causes for a seemingly low ABV, but without more details, it is difficult to be sure. If you can you post one of these recipes and tell us a little about your process from start to finish, we'll take our best shot at diagnosing the problem.

Like philm63 said we need more info. Things that would help are recipe, starting gravity, finished gravity, fermentation temps, yeast used, starting volume (wort), fermentation volume (after boil and cooled), bottling volume. Is it very sweet? I'm sure the people here can find the fault we just need more information.

First of, thanks for offering the  help. I am actually on vacation and do not have the recipes handy but I can answer a few of the questions. I followed the recipes as written down. The fermentation temps for all but the Belgium wit were between 74-76F. The Belgium Wit was a start of 64F and then up to 74-76F 3 days later. As I stated before, the yeast that I used were from White Labs. There were different ones since the types of beers were different. The total boil time was no more than 1hr. I added the hops  and the other flavorings at the the recommended times. When I made the Wort, I started with  around 2-2.5 gal of water and the final fermentation volume for all was 5 ga. The difference brought up by having the cold water in the fermenter and adding the Wort to it.  I let the Wort cool down to room temp before adding the yeast. There was for all of the fermentation a good reaction for the first day or two and then it settled down quickly after that. Please let me know what other info you would need.

Thanks

need gravity readings most of all, and what kind of water you use. with out the gravity of sg and fg there's not much I can say. don't take that the wrong way but, starting gravity and final gravity is vary important when talking fermentation. you may want to add what kind of white labs yeast you used also, there are a lot of them and they all act a little different.

I will post the gravities once I get back in a couple of weeks.

BTW I used filtered water. I fill the water from the machine outside the Grocery store, using a 5 gal carboy.

rockman49 said:
Please let me know what other info you would need.

How are you measuring your alcohol content?

The correct method is to take a gravity reading with a hydrometer before fermentation, then another after. The difference between the readings is your alcohol content. If you're relying on just a post fermentation reading, this will always be lower because the yeast has consumed sugar.

I've got Beers in low ABV places where the DME is brown and the beers wasting my gravity away... It'll be OK.    Now I'm not  big on number taking, I think I'll guess on volume taking.  'cause  I've got beers in low ABV places. 

Well I could be wrong, my volumes not on, but then my refractors on the floor.  My beers alright, its's just kinda light and I've only used While Labs Yeast before.

Hey, I don't mean to cause a big scene, just raise my gravity in an hour and then, my ABV will be as high as that Utopias Tower that you're drinking from.

'Cause I've got Beers in low ABV places where the DME is brown and the beers wasting my gravity away... It'll be OK.

jomebrew said:
I've got Beers in low ABV places where the DME is brown and the beers wasting my gravity away... It'll be OK.    Now I'm not  big on number taking, I think I'll guess on volume taking.  'cause  I've got beers in low ABV places. 

Well I could be wrong, my volumes not on, but then my refractors on the floor.  My beers alright, its's just kinda light and I've only used While Labs Yeast before.

Hey, I don't mean to cause a big scene, just raise my gravity in an hour and then, my ABV will be as high as that Utopias Tower that you're drinking from.

'Cause I've got Beers in low ABV places where the DME is brown and the beers wasting my gravity away... It'll be OK.

Wow!  Creative song writing this early in the morning?  I'm impressed.

Scott Ickes said:
jomebrew said:

Wow!  Creative song writing this early in the morning?  I'm impressed.

I'm disturbed.  :eek:

Wort is nothing more than sugar water. The more sugar in the water the more ABV. If it (ABV) was too low add more sugars (DME, grain, whatever). If you had plenty of sugars but the ABV was too low, it didn't ferment completely or you had too much water in it. It ain't brain science or rocket surgery.

Back