• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Edit the Mash pH and Beersmith software

tschafer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Question.

I have my water profile for my city.

I run that through the water profile settings.  Say I want to target Burton on Trent water.

BS software tool gets me my target numbers to treat my water. Excellent!

I treat my strike water with whatever chemicals are needed.

I add that to mash and stir.

I check my mash pH.  It says read 5.9 pH

Is there some way to tell BS what my mash pH is and have the software tell me "No problem brother; add XX of Gyspum, and XX of Lactic Acid and that'll get you to 5.2pH"

That is my problem.  BS will helps me treat my strike water, but I don't know how to get it to help me reach my target Mash pH.

lol.  That's a terrible answer.  Did you even read the question?  I want to do this is BeerSmith.  Not Bru'n Water…Come on man.

As far as I know your not going to do be able  to do that with Beer Smith. That's why I recommended Bru'n water. If you find a way let me know.  :)

I haven't found any water profile spreadsheets you can just enter your PH reading and have it give you what salts and acid to add. Their are two many variables  ( Type of grain, percent of dilution with distilled or RO water, current water profile). Bru'n Water is the best spreadsheet I have found for calculating and adjusting brewing water. You will have to manually enter salts, mash profile, acid, dilution and existing water profile data.

Bru'n Water comes with great water knowledge section that explains water profiling. You can download it for free and by donating he will email you the newer versions and updates.   

Well that's disappointing. So, as far as I can tell, every water "tool" available is as good as pencil and paper or John Palmer's nomograph--It gives you some clues, you experiment by adding/subtracting different ions, check the results compared to your desired end profile, adjust as necessary.

I was hoping that BeerSmith had the ability to do this for me automatically, saving time and possible errors.

So, there is not a single resource that will do this? Well, for our programmer friends, there's an opportunity!

Not to take away from John Palmer, infact How to Brew is one of my favorite brewing books. Water tools are a lot easier to use then pencil and paper or nomographs. They are spreadsheets that will calculate water additions. Beer Smith being one of them but it is very limited and will not figure PH, RA, Bicarbonate, plus many more.   

Yeah, I know. I was just griping. I invested a couple hours in BrunWater yesterday. Admittedly, that is probably one of the best digital tools available at this time.

Brewing chemistry is incredibly complex.  The best tool for homebrewer's is Kai Troister's tool over at brewer's friend. 

I use it on every brew, across a wide range of styles and water chemistries.  I measure the pH of every brew several times through the process.  Kai's calculator has always been within 0.1 pH over around 30 brews or so. 

That said, pH shouldn't be managed by salt additions alone.  Mash pH just isn't THAT sensitive to Calcium.  Nor do you want to just keep adding acids (sour malt, lactic acid, or phosphoric acid) until pH is right.  So, in some cases you need to cut the water with RO, to reduce the buffering capacity (or residual alkalinity) of the water.  It is a complex interplay between these different variables...and there is a flavor impact to each of them as well.  So, ultimately the brewer has to decide which of the available options best fits the desired outcome. 

Kai's work over at brewers friend is really great, and I've been leveraging it to help predict my required measurements. I'd really like to be  doing this in beer smith since it's what I know, use and recomend to my friends. However if it doesn't include it in the future, I might swap away from beer smith cloud, and spend my $25 a year on Brewers friend so I can easily plumb my recipes through w/out copying and pasting every time.
Has Brad mentioned adding this to the software?
AO

Back