• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Quick Introduction

riceral

Apprentice
Reaction score
I wanted to introduce myself.

I started home brewing back in 2000 when my wife bought me a starter kit and equipment for my birthday. After about a year of extract kits, moved to partial mash for 3-5 batches, then onto all grain.

I took time off for several years while I worked on my doctorate, then another 2 years off because of starting a new (and challenging) job. Srtarted back a few months ago.

I brew mainly ales, especially like Belgian ales, and have done some lagers in the past. I entered a schwartzbier in a competition a while ago and got a 39 on it. That is encouragement enough and yesterday I bought a chest freezer so I can better control my fermentation temperature. I am becoming more interested in sour beers and I am looking forward to venturing into this style sometime in the future.

As a note---although I have been reading posts on the forum for 6-8 months, I usually don't post much. I like to take in the knowledge and add when I might have something unique to contribute.

I look forward to having everyone add to my knowledge.

riceral

You sound a lot like me. I love Belgian beers, Schwartzbier and sour beers as well. I entered a Schwartzbier in a Pro Am comp for GABF back in 2009 and won the category but did not get to brew the Pro Am batch because I live in Iowa and the contest was in Washington. I did go to GABF that year though and had a beer that was made at Baron? in CA. It was a smoked sour dopplebock. It had to be one of the best beers I have ever tasted. One of these days I will get around to making one. Tasted like a good sour ale and bacon. Good beer.

I am becoming more interested in sours. Waiting on Michael Tonsmeire's book American Sour Beer, due on Amazon on April 7th.

The best beer store in town had a sour/rare beer tasting a couple of Mondays ago. Good stuff. Different and quite enjoyable. Not something to drink 2 or 3 when I get home after work but something I would enjoy on a hot afternoon.

The funny thing about that smoked sour dopplebock was that no one at GABF liked it I guess because there was no line at all but, I went back over and over. Then..... we went to a tap house called Fire Creek and they had it and several others on tap that night. They were doing some sort of special on sour beers. It was a great night.

Back