• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carried away

K

KernelCrush

Is buying a portable dishwasher for brewing going too far?  My wife thinks so.  But she's an unreasonable woman.

LOL  is it so you can use it out side? or are you going to use it in the kitchen in addition to the one that's in there?

I put a used single-bay stainless sink in the basement for brewing. It meant no more marching up and down the stairs to wash big items in the bathtub.  My wife didn't mind. She's a reasonable woman. 

KernelCrush said:
Is buying a portable dishwasher for brewing going too far?  My wife thinks so.  But she's an unreasonable woman.

No, it makes perfect sense. I agree,  your wife is unreasonable and probably irrational too.

What's her "issue"? Cost or space?

I have been on the hunt for a reasonably priced double wide single bowl ss sink to replace the small plastic laundry tub outside the barn. Now you have me thinking an outdoor bathtub would likely be cheaper. Not sure that it fits my motif though.  Once I explained that a dishwasher would let me spend less time brewing and more time adoring her, she understood completely.  She is capable of lucid thought.  From time to time.

My wife didn't mind the basement sink so much because it's something she uses too. For washing up after doing gardening, bathing the dogs, laundry, whatever.  Maybe you could sell your wife on the idea of a sink or tub as something she could use as well, as opposed to something strictly for brewing.

Used or new? If used, I'd suggest googling how to clean a dishwasher with vinegar. That's the best way to get deposits out.

Its used. I never thought of the vinegar clean before using it.  Thanks for that.  I was thinking of the starsan ratio to put in the cup in the door for the sanitation cycle.  I dont think it will take much.

My dishwasher is the two things on the end of my arms...Never thought of using a dishwasher, but I still use bleach to sanitize...Knock on my cave if you are ever in the neighborhood....Oh, and the wife? gave me the basement all for myself and when I brew, she goes shopping...makes the beer expensive, but what the hell!

Yes I think it will make things easier. I go thru a ridiculous pile of containers, etc on brew day. It will free up the table I use now for a drying rack.

I took out a $6000 loan back in 1995 to buy a 20 gallon pilot brewery and I didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out. I got that one past my old lady. You will be just fine. Just tell her how much money you will save by making your own beer. He he!!! After all, women buy crap just because it is on sale and justify it by telling us they are just trying to save money.

Back